A grid plane as a ruler to measure the size of some parts of a 3d model mesh

I need a grid (as a ruler) in the forground of a mesh (load from 3d model file) to measure the size of some parts of the mesh.

I implement this requirement by below steps:

1. load the 3d model file to the scene
  2. create a plane
    a. set it’s material with GridMaterial (gridRatio=1.0)
    b. move the plane to the the postion by the 3d model mesh (make sure the plane just next to the 3d model mesh)

The following questions:

1. this implementation is right or not, or there is a better solution?
  2. when the 3d model mesh apply rotation, scaling and position actions, how to adjust the grid plane?
  3. for the grid plane:
    a. should big enough to cover the 3d model mesh
    b. should disable rotation action (the 3d model can rotation separate)
    c. can show or hiden by a 2D ui button at any time, and need to make sure the measure is accurate

playground:
https://playground.babylonjs.com/#TWRMNA#1

you could rely on the bounding hierarchy information of your model to accurately define where and how big the plane should be. The grid will be a nice way of showing the information.

@sebavan
Thanks for your reply!
I’d like the plane can fill the whole scene, so during zoom in/out, we can see the grid like a background.

const height = scene.getEngine().getRenderHeight();
    const width = scene.getEngine().getRenderWidth();

I’m wonder, my implementation is a good solution?

you would need to compute how much you can see form the furthest point allowed by the camera.

The width/height you are using are the one of the canvas which is totally unrelated.

I d say use 10000 for both width and height which should already cover a lot if your models are around the unit size.

@sebavan
Create such a large plane, are there any performance issue?

nope, it is still only 2 triangles :slight_smile:

1 Like