Hello awesome people,
SOMETHING is HAPPENING on WURLD-WILD-WEB.
It is good for BabylonJS -
check it out!
TLDR; PWA is cool (exceptional) technology.
See examples and UPDATES below.
You heard of “Progressive Web Apps”.
… we deep-dive PWAs and are encouraged by what we find.
It is a new user interaction model for the web.
Here is PWA App Shell Template -> On Github -> 3D PWA APPSHELL TEMPLATE
Use it to send BabylonJS creations directly to any user Homescreen on (any?) device - from your https site.
It is easy website to app service from your https site. You put WebGL creations on a link, on a desktop, and when user clicks… your creations pop-up there in a browser rendered as app. We think that is exceptionally cool!
- In modern browser(Chrome or Edge) > click the “Add to Homescreen” button. Then click > “Install”.
- Tada! > you installed a BabylonJS APPSHELL to your Desktop OR Homescreen on Mobile! Thanks MS.
- Check your desktop (icon there).
- Check chrome://apps (icon there) [right click to uninstall]
It gets better!
can we send many scenes through to user app with push updates???
GOAL: collectible episode with dynamic content.
NOTE: Push API is not on roadmap for Safari iOS, but Web App Manifest is “in progress”.
- PWAs are a major improvement over AppStores.
- But there is also a new user interaction life-cycle emerging - not yet belabored by the blogs.
- Recommended by W3C and (almost) fully supported by vendors (big thanks; Microsoft, Chrome, iOS Safari adopting Web App Manifest not PushAPI). Many links available in template readme.
- With 2 clicks, any WebPage becomes a native app. We think that is cool!
- ServiceWorkers - for “Offline Mode” caches files locally.
- “Appshell” concept - renders dynamic content separate of static AppShell.
- And greenfield for innovations…
We think that is exceptionally cool!
Happy New Year Babylon Warriors,