Babylonjs v5.0 and Chromium

Hi there,
maybe this is a hopeless request but i try :slight_smile:
I’ve babylon running inside a dated Chromium version.
"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.75 Safari/537.36"

With BJS v4.2 no problem. If i try using BJS >= v5.0 it doesn’t display 2D GUI TextBlock.

So you’ll say: “UPGRADE CHROMIUM TO THE LAST VERSION!!”.
I can’t :slight_smile: Or better, i can’t right now because this version is strictly bound to other parts of our framework and the upgrade is not so quick and easy to do.

So the question is: is it possible to release a fix to work with this old Chromium Version?
You are allowed to insult me if you want :smiley:

Thank’s in advance

You old-chromium-user! :wink:

I wonder what changed and why it won’t render. TBH we don’t test with older browsers (as we expect, in general, that you would update your browser on your own, you know, security and all).

Maybe @DarraghBurke can think of a reason the GUI’s TextBlock won’t render on older browsers?

1 Like

Yep, it’s related to our use of newer features in the TextMetrics API which don’t exist in older browsers. Here is a fix: [GUI] Add feature testing to text metrics width by darraghjburke · Pull Request #12467 · BabylonJS/Babylon.js (github.com)

Should be live in the next version of Babylon.js! (Typically published on Thursdays)

2 Likes

Thank you guys! You never disappoint!! :wink:

2 Likes