Blender freeze within Ubuntu- What would be an alternative

Hey!!!

Trying to added skin and clothing material to bots but Blender freezes within seconds of me loading the software. Updated driver but that slowed system so took it off. Now I have my .babylon files but is there an alternative or only deal with Blender due to using Blender with Mixamo then BJS? Just want to add materials.

:heart:

pinging our Blender expert @PirateJC

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just your hardware which is too old, have you tried with an older version of Blender? Blender setups archive

2 Likes

Alternative wise :

• Build your materials in code post load. You will still need to get UVS on export file, when material has a texture. This will be kind of painful.
  • Maybe use a more powerful machine.

Not sure someone can help you with this, but I would bring up the Blender console, right after the blend file. When hang occurs, see if some kind of error message is displayed.

2 Likes

Also, what are you talking about when you say software? If Blender freezes within seconds of loading, how are you getting an export?

What is a “driver”? That word has no technical meaning. Is that what you are calling the exporter add-on? If so, have you tried the built in GLB exporter? You would have to changes on the JS side, but might avoid “something”.

2 Likes

Asking on the Blender forum might be a good thing as you could help them tracking an issue if any.

2 Likes

Definitely sounds weird, but I agree with @sebavan that the Blender forum or Blender Artists forum would be the best place to ask about why it’s freezing.

1 Like

Hey :blush:

I think that what Im going to do…use an older version and see how that pans out

I think Im going to use an older version of Blender and see how that pans out

Sorry about that…using the wrong word to describe Blender (software).

It just started acting up recently which is strange because doing the export conversion was a breeze. I have seen in other forums that this is a regular occurrence so I didn’t feel so bad.

Searching around I noticed some folks speaking of nvidia drivers to help with the issue but when I installed it my laptop moved slowly so took it off.

Will more than likely use an older version of Blender and see if that works.

Hey @sebavan & @PirateJC :blush:

Ive noticed this issue has happened before with other Blender/Linux users. Tried installing a specific driver on my system but it only made things run slower so I took it off. Going to try out older versions of Blender to see what happens.