Broken shadows after recent Chrome update in 4.2

I believe shadows broken after recent Chrome update in Babylon 4.2, there is a big list of shader errors in the console, same happened to the playground, try every shadow example using engine 4.2!

Those are ok for me in 4.2:

I could not find a sample failing.

Chrome: Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The latest Chrome version is 97.0.4692.71
Update my projects to preview channel 5.0.0, nothing broken hopefully.

Indeed. I did not have the “restart” message from Chrome to install a newer version, but after closing/restarting it I’m now in 97.0.4692.71…

The problem is that they now require we add a highp qualifier to the sampler2DShadow… It’s something they added in Chrome Canary some months ago, that’s why it’s ok in 5.0 as we added those qualifiers at that time.

@sebavan and @Deltakosh I don’t know how this should be handled? It’s maybe a case where a patched 4.2 (4.2.1?) should be released as else all PGs using shadows will fail in 4.2?


Deploying a 4.2 update for shadows would still force our users to update, so in this case I wonder if it is not better to move to 5 preview ? @Deltakosh any thoughts ?

1 Like

I agree and for the pg, it always default to 5.0 so we can stick with our immutable philosophy

We will activate beta1 today for 5.0 btw


Thank you @Deltakosh @sebavan and @Evgeni_Popov
Very nice, waiting for the update!



Our app is in production and this bug impact us pretty badly.
It’s a little problematic to not patch the 4.2 release for us, as we won’t update to an alpha (or beta) version. (well the decision is not mine tbh)
Hotfixing with an update to 5.0 seems a bit risky for us too.



So you are saying 4.2.0 (current version) will never be fixed ?
It also impact us on already deployed project.
Update to 5.0 will cost us so much time and effort for old projects.
We will have to fork.

1 Like

This is new to everyone unfortunately. Introducing breaking changes at browser level is a bad habit

Why do you think moving to 5.0 will be expensive for you?

We chatted offline with @tneullas. Because of prod reasons they cannot do the switch easily

They will fork for now and get back to 5.0 as soon as possible

We had troubles from 4.1 to 4.2 on a minor version so I guess it will take us time on major version. It is just guessing as I did not try yet 5.0 (we are super excited btw). But as it is a beta we can not pass directly to that on prod for all our projects.

Maybe you have spoken with a colleague ? But it wasn’t me :slight_smile:

lol yeah sorry I spoke with Come:)

Ok people(@tneullas, @Krenodeno, @nima )

We will ship a fixed version 4.2.1 today


Thanks a lot @Delkatosh !

1 Like

Many thanks @Deltakosh
I have already updated to the latest 5.0.0 with little impact on the overall functionally, just a few changes.
…and beta-1 is in the kitchen, congrats! :clinking_glasses:


Luckiliy i saw this thread yesterday and patched our app before our customers noticing it :smiley:
Would it be possible to give some kind of warning here in the forum if something like this happens again?
I mean you knew already from the chrome canary version that a breaking change is coming. Thats why you fixed it already in 5.0. At that time it would be nice to inform us that we should update Babylonjs to prevent problems when this breaking change is released with a chrome update.

Yep totally possible.

Yup totally agree @Kesshi