_handlePointerActions error

since Babylon 5.0 I’m getting this error from some clients, with no stack trace or other info:
h[3301]/Jt</e.prototype._handlePointerActions/this._pointerDownEvent

looks like it’s from Babylon code, but I’m handling all pointer events myself.
I do call scene.detachControl(); as well.

if this is indeed from Babylon, how can I get rid of this error?

Adding @PolygonalSun, _handlePointerActions is indeed a method in Babylon (in WebDeviceInputSystem).

However, without a repro it may be difficult to find the problem (but maybe it will ring a bell to @PolygonalSun).

2 Likes

Finding the problem is one thing, and I’ll let you know when I can find the cause, but mostly I’m interested in shutting up the error, because it’s diluting my error logs and I asked Babylon specifically not to handle any input events (afaik).

1 Like

Yup it should definitely not do anything if not asked for it, a repro would be amazing ?

1 Like

There might be some issue with events getting cleared when detachControl is being called. Do you happen to know which version of the 5.0 alpha you’re using? Also, would be able to create a PG with the issue so that I can try to repro it and figure out what’s going on?

2 Likes

it’s version 30. I can’t even repro it in my own code on my device, it happens on the devices of players of my game. But I can tell you I don’t call a lot of Babylon code, I can send you a file if you tell me how.

Also, I think no stack trace means it’s not coming via a call in my code, more likely an event.
Also, no guarantee it was introduced in 5.0. It only happened since I updated from 4.1 to 5.0 last week, but these players are new too.

Ok, I missed this earlier but these are the user agents:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:68.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.6 Firefox/68.9 Mypal/28.14.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.3

those look pretty weird, isn’t the web fun? :smiley:

Just out of curiosity, is this occurring on your https://tuggowar.io game or is this on another game? I’d like to see if I can attempt to repro it myself.

1 Like

yes, that one - I sent you one of my relevant code files.

1 Like

So I looked at the code and it didn’t look like there was anything that stood out as a potential issue. Based on the initial error, I’d assume that it has something to do with when the user triggers a pointerdown PointerEvent. For the Waterfox instance, it might make sense as to why it isn’t working as PointerEvent objects are only compatible with Firefox 59+. As for the MyPal one, I’m not sure but it looks like that’s a browser that used with Windows XP so that might also be a compatibility issue. That’s what I’m finding so far.

1 Like

I see. At my side it could make sense to hard block some old browsers. At your side it could make sense to check something like if (window.PointerEvent).

Closed for now, I’ll keep you updated. Thanks for your time!