I want to make a summer hot wave effect, but I have no idea, do not know whether to use "StandardMaterial" or something else, completely no idea

I want to make a summer hot wave effect, but I have no idea, do not know whether to use “StandardMaterial” or something else, completely no idea…

1 Like

Do you mean a Mirage?

Are you looking for the air “wave” effect or the ground “water puddle” effect?
What is your scene setup and the context of wanting to do this?
Can you start a basic playground and post the link so we can work through what you are hoping to achieve?

If you are looking for the air “wave” effect a simple particle system with animated transparent textures would be an easy way of faking it that would give you a lot of control. This old-school technique is also often used for clouds, fog, mists, and other volumetric effects. Here is an example I found in the Playgrounds, you just need to add a texture animation and make the surface of each plane transparent / translucent and wave in the same direction with a standard material: https://playground.babylonjs.com/#1G2LLJ#108

Other options for air waves would be post-processing filters, building custom shaders and applying it to a mesh, and many other ways. Give us some more context so we can help you better.

5 Likes

Yes, I think I’m looking for air “wave.”, Now I’m going to write a playground, Thank you very much for your help, because it is not long to start, so many things are not clear…

Yes, I guess that would be a better option. An NME pp shouldn’t be all too hard to create. There’s already some base you could use and quickly twist and tweak to your liking. It would allow to also easier set the intensity of the fx depending on context. Of course, my opinion only.

1 Like