Polygons tank's

Hi, there was a question about referring to polygons of a specific object, so I have heard little about the id of polygons and their numbering. But I had thoughts about implementing a projectile penetrating one tank by another … Let’s say there is one tank, and it shoots (this has already been implemented), but how to make sure that this projectile pierces another tank or not. I thought that we could turn to the polygons, for example, the turrets of the tank, they are also somehow located in space, and set them the parameters of the armor (armor thickness) in case the projectile flies along the normal to the polygon. Then if it flies at an angle, you can calculate the angle to the polygon, and calculate whether it will break through or not. But for this I don’t know how to refer to a specific polygon, a specific object, whether I need how to number these polygons in 3ds max, if so how, or is there another way to accomplish the idea. How do you think? the idea of ​​creating the simplest model of a tank from separate sections of armor and placing it in the main model of the tank, the same penetration calculations, but it seemed too primitive to me, and the model would already be cumbersome …

1 Like

Hi Sesh1339,

There are a lot of questions in there, and it might be more than can be tackled in a single forum post. As a starting point, I’d recommend diving deeper on physics in Babylon, working through the docs and examples there to build up an understanding of how to simulate projectiles, collisions, impact/deflection, etc., many of which may be better suited to individual forum questions. Once you have a solid grasp of physics at a high level, that should help make it clearer how you might want to tackle advanced topics like armor penetration and destruction. There are quite a few topics to explore on the way there, but that broader understanding will be the key to helping you assess the effect you’re going for and figure out what’s the best way to tackle it. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

1 Like

Take a look at Mesh Picking and the information you can get in PickingInfo.

If you’re OK with a simpler approach to damage, rather than trying to simulate full projectile piercing of armour, you could use decals to indicate glancing strikes and smaller, non-fatal armour piercing, then maybe something like exploding meshes for a kill shot. In the heat of battle players are unlikely to notice whether individual strikes are physically accurate or skilfully faked.

1 Like