Two Minutes of Hate : O'Brien Update

With all the political disputes and aggravation going on around the world, I was put in mind of an old film recording (1954) of George Orwell’s 1984. So I created a scene from that film - the “Two Minutes Of Hate” scene.

Two Minutes Of Hate

Click the button to start, then click on the screen, as each piece of audio ends, to move through the dialog. You might have to move the ArcRotate camera a little, as it may not click on the screen properly when you are directly behind the characters.

It is a WIP, as I would like to add another character - the head of the “Thought Police”.

The original recorded play is here 1984. The actor playing Winston Smith is Peter Cushing who would become a screen legend for his Hammer Horror movies. O’Brien of the Thought Police is played y Andre Morell. Years later they would work together again as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Another actor in the movie is Donald Pleasence who would in 1967 play the arch-villain ,Ernst Blofeld in the last Sean Connery James Bond Film .

It was actually performed live twice on BBC television and the screenplay was written by Nigel Kneale who would become well known for his series of plays about Professor Quatermass which as a young kid scared the life out of me!!

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

Obrien, the man from the “Thought Police” is added below.

2 Likes

Classic will never be outdated. :slight_smile:

Well, I was not obliged to act a part, but it was impossible to avoid clicking the link.

Your update of 1984 is probably a little too current for some. I would have made it about something obsurd. Maybe cupcakes cause global warming.

1984 could get away with it, because it was set far into the future.

Well, here is an update to my 1984 piece - the “Thought Policeman” - O’Brien.

Obrien

Click the “Start Button” to play (replay) it.

It is a WIP, as I want to combine meshes and textures to reduce the “drawcalls” to 3. And maybe reduce the vertex count a bit too.

The audio is a single file using sound sprites. As it develops, I will add more sprites. Just a note here about the documentation for sound sprites , the example does not really play individual sprites - only plays the whole audio file. I will try to create a better example.

Is it @JohnK who looks after that?

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Stay Safe All, gryff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have done some work on the docs but I am not in charge. @RaananW or @PirateJC would be able to merge any PR.

Your plan sounds a good idea.

1 Like

That would be AWESOME!!! Thanks @gryff!!!

Add me as a reviewer on your PR and I’ll review/merge it!

@PirateJC NP. I will use the same sound file - as it is originally mine. Will do it this weekend as I will be seeing my daughter and her two little greyhound dogs (one I use in my icon pic and her new little sweetheart).

@JCPalmer Well, the new Obrien piece has that the “2+2 = 5” absurdity. Mind you, we have just had a federal election in Canada - and the absurdities and stupidities just keep on increasing. Who knows what it will be like in 2024.

Anything not DJT based is going to get a better general response. Either camp / tribe is not going to be happy (for different reasons) with part one.