About using Babylon React Native

Hey,

So I have been keeping my tabs on Babylon Native project for quite a while now and also hats off to the people involved in creating Babylon Native & Babylon React Native.

Me and @lowkey_guy been trying to use Babylon React Native for the past 2 days and every time we run the playground example in the repo it crashes everytime.

So we wanted to understand the current status of the project and how we can go about it. Or if possible can somone help up how to resolve the crash issue.

Also can we find a place where the feature parity difference between Babylon JS and Babylon Native are present?

About our goal - We are planning to create a 3d customizer of sorts using Babylon React Native.

Thanks.

FYI @ryantrem

Can you provide more details on the crash? Maybe provide the call stack?

The current status (a bit out-of-date) in the main README has some minimal info on this. We don’t have a running list and it might be difficult to do this as this list will change constantly as we are improving the parity all the time.

That’s awesome!

2 Likes

Thanks for reply @bghgary

So the crash was solved by properly building the C++ dependencies that React Native Babylon Lokesh figured these out

@lowkey_guy has started another thread with more details in this thread How to enable touch input for ArcRotateCamera on Babylon React Native

Looking forward to use more of Babylon Native in future.

Thanks.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear!

So the crash was solved by properly building the C++ dependencies that React Native Babylon Lokesh figured these out

@karanganesan, @lowkey_guy - if there is something that could be added to the readme to make figuring this out easier, please let us know, or feel free to contribute to the docs!

Also note that when consuming the actual @babylonjs/react-native NPM package, the bulk of the C++ is precompiled, so it should be much easier (e.g. just install the package into a React Native app and you’re good to go!).

3 Likes