Confusion on use case for Center of transformation, pivot, parent/children

Hey John,
Thanks for joining this. The measurements are made through ray intersections at several locations relative to the origin. For example the max X and Z value at several Y values (slicing the mesh at critical locations). The great Evgeni_Popo helped guide me to a working solution (see below).

The locations along the Y axis are relative to the origin (for example 10 cm up from center, 100 cm up from center, etc.). The measurements and an stl are exported for use in another software, this makes it critical to manage the location of the origin → set by the user picking a location in the mesh.

Does this help? I am starting a generic playground to help show more of this. There are implementation and behavioral differences in the approaches above that I haven’t worked out as far as which to use here.

Ultimately the user imports a mesh that can have a random assortment of offsets and rotations - I’d like to fix all that. The user picks a specific point to define the center. Rotations are used to orient the mesh. Some of the mesh is cut out by isolating what’s in a box around the origin, everything outside of the box should be deleted. Once the isolation and translations are performed, measurements are taken (ray cat intersections) at critical locations relative to the origin orientation.

Exporting the stl and measurements is done for another tool to work with. The new stl should reflect the user selected origin, orientation, and isolation (inside the box).

I do appreciate your review and guidance. I’m still working out this PG and using this post and feedback to approach it.

Thanks.

As a good example PG, I’m going to try and move one of the stanford bunnies ears to the origin (by picking a point at the ear hole) and oriented (rotations applied dynamically with a slider) with the tip of the ear facing up and forward.