BABYLON middleware - ES6 vs UMD

I’m writing some BABYLON middlewares and I want these libraries to be available for ES6 (with tree shaking) and as a UMD. I did not found a good pattern, let me explain with a simple example :

ES6

import {Matrix} from '@babylonjs/core'

let identity = Matrix.Identity();

UMD

let identity = BABYLON.Matrix.Identity();

I don’t want to duplicate code, it would be a nightmare to maintain, so here was my first try :

if(window.BABYLON) {
}
else {
  let identity = Matrix.Identity()
}

Then with webpack or rollup I can set @babylonjs/core as externals for the UMD build and everything works well…BUT it quickly become complicated because I have to do that for every call to the BABYLON namespace.

So I could make a wrapper, for example a BABYLON.wrap.js file :

export module BABYLON {
  Matrix : Matrix
}

then :

import {BABYLON} from './BABYLON.wrap'

And again with the external option I’m not including the wrapper in the UMD build. So it could be a solution even if I don’t like it, the main problem with this approach is typescript, there are a tons of errors and I have to put a lot of @ts-ignore. Maybe it will be better with typescript 4.0 but I would like to know if someone already facing this, and what they found to resolve it :slight_smile: ?

Unfortunately i am not sure there is a good approach for this one :frowning:

Maybe the easiest would be to build it as part of the babylonjs folder so you could reuse all of our trickery which despite being ugly and hackish (i can say it as i am partly responsible for it) works pretty well.