Something is happening on wurld-wild-web.
Have you seen it?
It is really good for BabylonJS -
Check it out!
TLDR; PWA is very cool technology.
We see game change. And are going for it.
You’ve heard of “Progressive Web Apps”. Terrible name - great technology.
We deep-dive and are encouraged by what it enables.
We see a new user-interaction-model for the web.
So we can turn our focus back on animation methodology.
PWA App Shell Template now called WRAPPSHELL -> On Github -> 3D PWA APPSHELL TEMPLATE
UPDATE: find WRAPPSHELL link below.
TLDR; 3D BJS in PWA (with good lighthouse score)…
Send your BabylonJS creations direct to any “Homescreen” of anyone anywhere in the world- from your https site.
As mentioned, we think that is cool. From careful prodding research - we find the barrier-to-entry into the marketplace - to be the final hurdle. Creating the app was easy. Even marketing and exposure - we have some trick up our sleve. But getting through the deadly jungles of the app stores - very nearly killed us.
App Stores are a-creative.
With a website we can now do anything. We think. WebGL creations on a link, pop-up on your Homescreen as app. We want to tell Hero Journeys, and we think that medium is exceptional (and cool).
- In modern browser(Chrome or Edge) > click the “Add to Homescreen” button. Then click > “Install”.
you installed a BabylonJS APPSHELL to your Desktop OR Homescreen on Mobile! Thanks MS.
- Check your desktop (icon there).
- Check chrome://apps (icon there) [right click to uninstall]
- can push to traditional appstores, but also there is a whole new (better) ecosystem springing up.
can we send many scenes through to user app with push updates?
episode and dynamic content
UPDATE: Push API is not on roadmap for Safari iOS (boo-hiss) but Web App Manifest is “in progress” and new innovations arriving in succession like: GOOGLE PLAY STORE now with PWA…
- PWAs are a major improvement over AppStores.
- But there is also a new user interaction life-cycle - not yet innovated.
- Recommended by W3C and (almost) fully supported by vendors Many links available in template readme links.
- With 2 clicks, any WebPage becomes a native app. We think that is cool.
- ServiceWorkers - for “Offline Mode” caches files locally.
I want to update episodes years later with easter egg improvements.
- “Appshell” concept has patterns. At the core it renders dynamic content separate of static AppShell.
- That is why we call the enhancement of that… the WRAPPSHELL.
- greenfield innovations all over…
- stop by the beach front. Join in. The water is great!
Happy New Year,