Babylon.js Community Monthly Online Meetup: Anyone Interested?

Greetings Babylon community! It’s Gabe from the Frame team. We’ve been using Babylon to build our product for years and we love the library, the team, the forums…all of it.

TL;DR, we want to host a monthly Babylon community meetup inside Frame for anyone interested in Babylon.js. We’ll hear from a few presenters each week on topics related to babylon.js and how it’s being used or can be used.

What would happen there?
The meetup would consist of a few people showcasing some past or present projects/playgrounds/products that they are building with Babylon, not from a “please buy or use this” perspective, but from the perspective of sharing what the Babylon library can do and how it can flex. It could be a technical deep dive or a more high-level walkthrough, but either way each presentation would be time-capped to around 10 minutes and we might have 2 or 3 presenters each time. I bet occasionally we’d get people from the Babylon team in there to talk about new developments in babylon.js or showcase ways to leverage existing features, too!

I imagine after the presentations and a bit of Q & A for each presenter, at the end anyone who wanted to mingle and just talk shop with fellow Babylon enthusiasts would be welcome to do so!

We want these meetings to feel welcoming, beginner+ advanced friendly, constructive, and supportive.

What wouldn’t happen there?
Relentless product promotion, argumentation, negativity.

Why in Frame instead of regular video conferencing?
For starters, Frame is built with Babylon so it seems like a good fit. :slight_smile: But also, we think meeting inside of 3D spaces is fundamentally more playful and powerful than being in a huge grid of video squares. We also have some neat features that make it really easy to share 3D models, shaders, and particle systems so that we can all look at things together inside of a 3D space in addition to the usual screen sharing tools.

We do recognize that it takes some time to get used to a new platform, and that occasionally Frame has bugs. But we feel confident in Frame as a place to host these meetups while being open-minded to shifting if it’s not working out for any reason.

How could I present/speak?
For scheduling purposes and to sanity check the topics, I think we need a layer of curation for the presenters/speakers, and I’d be able to do this curation in collaboration with Jason from the Babylon team. I expect 3 speakers for each meeting and one meeting a month.

When would it be?
To be determined - we aren’t sure if we are going to do this until we gauge the level of interest from the community. I know there are some people from the Frame user community who have gotten into Babylon who would love to attend as well, and they are from many time zones. I know all of you are too. Figuring out a time that will work for most people will be a challenge, but sessions would be recorded so people can watch later on their own time.

Want this to be a thing? Drop a heart on this and/or leave a comment with your thoughts about any of the above.

35 Likes

I’m in <3

2 Likes

Sounds like a rad idea to me!

1 Like

Sounds wonderful!

2 Likes

I will be there. Let me know when and where.

2 Likes

Oh heck yes you would!!!

The team will absolutely be a part of this! So excited about this idea!!!

2 Likes

I’m freaking in!!!

3 Likes

Sounds great! I’m keen!

2 Likes

Great idea!!

2 Likes

This is going to be a HIT! Will love to meet the community mesh face to mesh face :rofl:

2 Likes

i’m in.

3 Likes

i will look forward this

1 Like

Yes YES :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Good idea, YES!! :raised_hands:

1 Like

What can I say… Yours wouldn’t do somethink like that without me… now, would you ?:joy:
In case you wonder, that’s a big ‘YES’ :nerd_face:… actually no, it’s more than that: I dare you, I double dare you :laughing:

2 Likes

I would love for this to be a thing. It would be awesome to talk about what folks are building with this awesome tool.

1 Like

I’m in. Sounds great!!!