Blender 3.0 and Geometry Nodes : Buildings

Well, I’ve been looking at Blender 3.0 Beta to see what might be new. And it seems that “Geometry Nodes” have had a serious updating. They were introduced in Blender 2.92 and the latest version has brought some dramatic changes. I gather they were introduced to replace the Particle System functionality which I used to scatter rocks and trees around landscapes. But things have changed - now they are being used to create buildings :

3 Offices and Shops

I downloaded Blender 3.0 Beta yesterday and installed @JCPalmer 's .babylon exporter. Everything went well.

I will add some comments later today.

Stay Safe All, gryff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just a reminder that I have no intention of making any changes for 3.0, only LTS releases, which will probably be 3.03, if the pattern still holds.

2 Likes

@JCPalmer Ohh I know Jeff. But the exporter for Blender 2.93 seems to be working well so far. No Problems - but I’ve only been playing with it for a day !

Stay Safe, gryff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are some of the tutorials I watched on YouTube over the weekend :slight_smile:

1. DIY building generator with geonodes in Blender 3.0 Alpha - 3 parts

2. Blender3D - Creating a procedural Building with Blender 2.93 Geometry Nodes - 3 parts

3. Create a procedural Building in Blender 3 - 5 parts

And not just buildings - if you like Minecraft type games - build terrains:

1. Hexagon World with Geometry Nodes Fields - Blender 3.0 Tutorial but built with hexagons in a hexagon shape…

More to come.

Hexagon Image :

3 Likes

I got a “Geometry Nodes” model from the YouTube video #2 above as it did not involve signing up to gumroad etc. It was done with Blender 2.93 but seemed to work OK with Blender 3.0 BETA (A in images below).

I duplicated the object twice and moved their positions (B & C in images below). Notice when you duplicate the Geometry Nodes are duplicated and that allows you to tweak the shapes individually (height, width, length). So you essentially have created a “high rise” builder. Duplicate and tweak parameters. You don’t need to create a new set of nodes for each building.

Building A parameters:

Building B parameters:

1 Like