Clarify a confusing part of GUI#tracking-positions

featuresDeepDive/gui/gui#tracking-positions says, quote

You can also move a control to a specific coordinates in your scene with control.moveToVector3(position). Please note that the control will not stick with the vector if you change it afterwards.

• what does it mean for a control to “stick with the vector”?
  • what does “it” refer to in the second sentence? (the control? the vector? something else?)

Also, if there is a specific/intentional reason why this moveToVector3() method is mentioned in the context/section of “tracking positions” (for example, if linkWithMesh() and moveToVector3() affect each other’s behavior in ways that aren’t natural/obvious) that’d be nice to clarify in that article, too. And if there isn’t a reason that’s easy to explain, it may be a good idea to drop that paragraph altogether.

:pray:

it may be worth pointing out in that article as well as jsdoc that name linkWithMesh() is misleading in that it takes a TransformNode and not a [Abstract]Mesh as its argument.

…resolving that issue might be a good idea, too; perhaps by adding a new method with a better name and deprecating linkWithMesh

Basically it means that changing the Vector3 which you used in moveToVector3 to move the control will not affect the mentioned control’s position automatically.

Have a look at this PG. The comments will shed more light on this topic, I believe:

:vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

thank you @roland

i now understand what the author meant do communicate by those sentences and am in a better position to guess the

reason why this moveToVector3() method is mentioned in the context/section of “tracking positions”

I also noticed that featuresDeepDive/gui/gui#tracking-positions remained unchanged. other readers won’t have the advantage I now have as they try to understand/guess what the author meant. consider updating the page.

thank you

1 Like