Difference Between All Methods of importing assets

Hi , I am seeing so many types of asset loading methods in babylonjs like assetManager, AssetContainer, ImportMesh, SceneLoader.append etc… . Why these? what is the difference between all of these.

ImportMesh only import meshes, SceneLoader.append import everything from a file (.babylon, .gltf, etc) into the scene and AssetContainer lets you import data into a container, data that you can move to the scene whenever you want (whereas SceneLoader.append will import directly into the scene at the time you call the method).

Docs:

2 Likes

Thanks for your info @Evgeni_Popov . I think it is clear little bit. But Still I have some doubts. You say SceneLoader.append will import .gltf or something else directly into the scene. Then what the Babylon.ImportMesh will do?

2 Likes

It imports only meshes, not other types of objects (particle systems, lights, etc).

1 Like

yes @Evgeni_Popov . Understood, I am asking , whether it will import mesh directly into the scene or not?

Yes, ImportMesh will import meshes directly into the scene.

1 Like

Thanks @Evgeni_Popov

Then What these two will do - assetManager, AssetContainer

AssetManager will also let you load individual assets like sounds, videos, text files, etc: Asset Manager | Babylon.js Documentation

There are some intersections between these methods (AssetManager can also load meshes) as I think they have not been developped at the same time.

3 Likes