For loop with sceneloader.importmesh

I am trying to import multiple meshes at different positions, using a for loop to go through a json that I have , however the problem I am coming across is that all the meshes get loaded on the one spot.

i have done this for making indiviual meshes and it seems to work

var wallFlip = true;
        var counter = 0;
        for(var i = 0; i < imageArray.length; i++){
            var canvasImage = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial("canvasImages", scene);
            canvasImage.diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(imageArray[i].relativePathNormal, scene); //
            canvasImage.specularTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(imageArray[i].relativePathNormal, scene); //
            canvasImage.emissiveTexture = new BABYLON.Texture(imageArray[i].relativePathNormal, scene);
            if (wallFlip) {
                //canvas on wall
                var pictureCanvas = BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreatePlane("wall", {height: 2, width: 3},scene);
                pictureCanvas.position = new BABYLON.Vector3(-7.2,1.5,((-(25 *(imageArray.length / 2)))+4+(5 * counter)));// need to change th values
                pictureCanvas.rotation = new BABYLON.Vector3(0,-Math.PI/2,0);
                pictureCanvas.material = canvasImage;
                wallFlip = false;
            } else if (wallFlip == false) {
                //canvas on the wall
                var pictureCanvas = BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreatePlane("wall", {height: 2, width: 3},scene);
                pictureCanvas.position = new BABYLON.Vector3(7.2,1.5,((-(25 *(imageArray.length / 2)))+4+(5 * counter)));// need to change the values
                pictureCanvas.rotation = new BABYLON.Vector3(0,Math.PI/2,0);
                pictureCanvas.material = canvasImage;
                wallFlip = true;
                counter++;
            }
        }

this works perfectly fine, however when I try to make it work with sceneloader.importmesh it does not seem to work.

for(var i = 0; i < modelArray.length; i++){
            // try { // this needs work
            var holder = BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateBox("wall", {height: 1, width: 1, depth: 1},scene);
            holder.isVisable = false;
            holder.position = new BABYLON.Vector3(0,0,(-(10 *(imageArray.length / 2) + (10 * i))));
            BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMeshAsync("", modelArray[i].seperatePath, modelArray[i].fileName, scene).then((model) => { 
                const root = model.meshes[0];;
                const body = root;
                body.parent = holder;   
                return {
                    mesh: holder
                }
            });

}

i have tried multiple ways to try and do this, but nothing seems to work, i have tried doing it inside the scene loader also by giving them a position based on the for loop but it does not seem to make them load in different spots

thanks for any help

Hi. You don’t return mesh. You always return loaded scene root node. So you need return model from .then((model) callback Babylon.js Playground

1 Like

Use a let i instead of var i in your for loop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the help, the let make it work, and had to mess with the code ever so slightly.
The final code was:

for(let i = 0; i < modelArray.length; i++){

var holder = BABYLON.MeshBuilder.CreateBox("wall", {height: 1, width: 1, depth: 1},scene);
            holder.isVisable = false;

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMeshAsync("", modelArray[i].seperatePath, modelArray[i].fileName, scene).then((model) => { 
                const root = model.meshes[0];
                const body = root;
                body.parent = holder;   
                body.position = new BABYLON.Vector3(0,0,(-(10 *(imageArray.length / 2) + (30 * i))));
            });
        }

i had the holder, be an anchor and then move the meshes around the anchor, rather than moving the holder itself