Game Editor (Dad72)

@Dad72 I am unable to Message you on here, I was following your progress on the old forum with your game editor a while back, I see you released for a short period of time here:

Any way for me to get access to it? Please? :heart:

2 Likes

Hello,

I stopped its development because I did not get any feedback from the users, I had many times ask for feedback to know if I was going in the right direction, if problems were encountered, but on seeing the absence of an answer, I judged that the project was without interest and I therefore abandon it and close.

There is no access to this project now.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking @Ateria, I also have interest in Game Editors, and inspired by @Dad72.

Hello again David. :slight_smile:

I also vote interest for your editor.

The thing about game editors:

They are highly subjective to what your are building.

Finding a one-editor-fits-all is a big challenge.

Not only to MAKEā€¦ but also to LEARN how to USE!

Check out BLENDER for exampleā€¦ the thing is massive.

There is terrain editing, ribbon editing, path editing, materials, bones, textures, etc.

It goes forever.

So, in light of that challenge - developed a different strategy:

find tool or customize a tool for exactly what you need - and compile over time.

Put in a namespace pattern in your code - they are always there!

Then, behind GAME_MODE, put an EDIT-MODE

each time you use a tool - you might end up creating a new tool?

It happens. A good example is conversions from local_coordinate to world_coordinate - or origin pivot, etc.

If it is always different, maybe get good at building custom tools?

idk.

There are many editors in BabylonJS nowā€¦ and all are great!

http://editor.babylonjs.com/

I think @satguru made a nice oneā€¦ (dont have link) (maybe Gizmo now) ( extended it last year )

and @nasimiasl has a [Geometry Editor]( GeometryBuilder ).

found the vids - hit that LIKE!

Gizmos look really awesome (but I havent used yet):

https://doc.babylonjs.com/how_to/gizmo

https://doc.babylonjs.com/api/classes/babylon.gizmomanager

And there are many variations underneathā€¦ (many). :black_heart:

Example: yesterday, I customized a PATH~EDITOR into a Ten-Key-Controller, for keyboard editing (like vim in 3D). Tada!

Because - Ten-Key makes a good precision-control for CAMERA during EDITs.

AND - as a holder to playback (edit) many different ANIMATION-SEQUENCES.

Ten-Key-CTRL has 3 modes now. And seeing many more optionsā€¦ like CURVE EDITING (someday). Intense. :grin:

Hop on overā€¦ check it out!

If you need CLASSICAL or TYPESCRIPT - refactor it and it is yours!

I :black_heart: VANILLA so much.

Overall, good to see so many EDITORS.

Maybe after you customize your specific tools - shareback to community? :grin:

~Secret-sauceā€¦

:eagle:

3 Likes

@Dad72 thatā€™s unfortunate. I mainly wanted to see how you styled the babylon.gui as I canā€™t find much on the topic of inventories, etc. Any way you could share atleast that portion of the code, or atleast how you went about it? :slight_smile: Iā€™d be willing to pay at this point, if need be :stuck_out_tongue:

@aFalcon thank you for your thorough reply

2 Likes

Hello aFalcon,

Thank you for your interest in my Web Editor Game Editor.

Most people do not seem to believe in the possibility of making a 3D MMORPG on a browser. Others say that Javascript is not a language powerful enough to create MMORPGs. It must be done in C ++, Java ā€¦ Thatā€™s what I read on other forums.

Today, I am discouraged of development, of programming, of creating tools for others, critics always without even trying things, downloading publishers for free, without ever even saying a thank you, should almost give more money for people to interest use what you provide for free.

In 6 years on Web Game Editor (who has also been named diferently) I have never had a single boost, never received user reviews, never received development aid. I have always been all alone on this huge project. So itā€™s very hard to keep your motivation and not to question yourself by wondering if youā€™re wasting your time.

I am now doing carpentry cabinet work, because I like working with wood rather than breaking my fingers on the keyboard in a project that no one has tried to do advance.

Iā€™m sorry for those who have an interest in the project, but maybe you should have let me know before that I closed it. I probably would have thought differently.

I did not give up on BabylonJS because I really like motor and this community, but I need to take a step back with the programming for at least 1 year, because I took a big slap in the mouth. The wall was very thick and I took it full face.

1 Like

Hear you D72. :slight_smile:

I am former Jav@, C++ AND C# and find them a bit BULKY. In-flexible. Hard to adapt. Personally.

For me, JS is lightweight flexible and perfect for ADAPTING endless animation!

So, I encourage youā€¦ :grin:

We take a jump - over the SAME WALL.

Sounds like all of this had good possibility to end at a dead end. Get that.

Recently, I did full reconaissance of that WALL.

YES - it is fine and well! And amazinglyā€¦ impenetrable!

Smart to take a step back.

I plan to take many shots at it. Because I just want to be an author.

2020 I have to go get job if business remains ZERO.

But when we come backā€¦ BABYLONJS is better than ever?

And maybe more opportunity to be a 3D Artistā€¦ on the web.

Until one day I just write sci-fi books.

I saw your work - and really liked it!

:eagle:

@Ateria here is something from another thread that may help: https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#NNL67B#38

Too many resources!

1 Like

@aFalcon
gizmo is all @trevordev baby :slight_smile:
Great work.
One day I will have to figure out how to use it in my stuff
My stuff, EditControl, is here

just updated to use Modules.
Next step is to update my CharacterController and world editor ā€œVishvaā€

@Dad72
Lots of good stuff in your editor.
Donā€™t give up on it.
But donā€™t do it for fame or fortune.
Do it because you love it.

If you want people to provide feedback then make it easy for them to use it.
So for example, donā€™t ask people to immediately register at your site
Nobody likes that.
Also if you want people to download and try your application then make the back end simple.
Use something simpler or more popular.
Maybe nodejs server instead of php server or no sql server instead of mysql server
People will give up quickly if they canā€™t figure these stuff out.

As far as making a 3D MMORPG on a browser is concerned it is definitely possible.
Seven years back a company called CloudParty created a whole browser based virtual world and game creation engine. Seven years back !! when webgl was still in its infancy.
see

6 Likes

Awesome! Thank you s.guru!

Taking a lookā€¦ :slight_smile:

Cloud Party looks EXCELLENT!

I want to goā€¦ and never leave. :grin:

Great advice (above).

Do it for the loveā€¦ :black_heart:

@Dad72 - I thought I saw your work and really liked it.

If I remember right - did you do Survival or prison complexā€¦???

I also remember a wood houseā€¦?

Yes @aFalcon, I created the Survival demo and the little prison game, as well as a field editor, a MMORPG editor, the GUI CastorGUI library and many other things.

@satguru , I know that a MMORPG can be made with Javascvript. because I did it, thatā€™s what some player / user seems to think.

I do not seek fame and fortune, the glory does not interest me being a marginal and fortune, my editor was free and I provided a lot of things myself to pay.

ā€œDo it because I love itā€, that was the goal, but collecting user reviews helps to get it going in the right direction. I did not do it for myself, I think about others, that I think to answer a request.

For the record, when I created this editor, it was to replace another editor who had closed, the community was on and I started to create this editor. Itā€™s 6 or 7 years ago.

In short, I abandon the editor since January 1, 2019. Yes there was a lot of good thing, that must be why nobody used it and did not show interest.

1 Like

@Dad72 Iā€™m in the same boat dudeā€¦ I have made so many systems and engines that were fully functional that most of the community just skipped over. Never get any help on anything I am working on unless Delta decides to contribute his time (he seems to be my saving grace 90% of the time). Plus things have never been the same sense the new forum.

I think it may be time for me to move onā€¦ after 4 years of service I just really see no end goal. Maybe Iā€™m just being emo but what Dad just said kinda struck a chord with meā€¦

Ehā€¦ naw I can quitā€¦ this is too much of what makes me happy guys like us just gotta remember that!

But I do feel your pain friend~

3 Likes

It is tough to get help but do not give up guys! Do it for yourself first.one thing I learned was that code if only 30% of the solution whereas developers think it is 99.
The remain 70% are documentation, samples and communication.

I know this is a pity but this is how our world work. On my spare time I created two applications (collecto.app and urzagatherer.app). They work pretty well and Iā€™m proud of them but no one care:) I now have to spend far more time to get them know if I want users. So I go to forums, reddit, Facebook etcā€¦ This is painful as the only think I like is coding:)

@Dad72 and @Pryme8: We all appreciate your work and projects. Donā€™t give up if you like what you are doing. Having fun with our own projects is the core of who we are!

7 Likes

^_^, as a legendary philosopher once said:

2 Likes

Thank you Deltakosh for your comment. Yes I know that the coding is around 50% of work and the other 50%, are communication, documentation.

The thing is that communication, advertising, Iā€™m not comfortable with that, I do not know how to do it. So all my projects do not go far.

In any case, I need to go back and can be another project after, because the MMORPG are not really trend I have the impression.

The I change the ideas in carpentry, I create myself right now a large band saw. I model the saw on 3ds max and now I create it in wood.

2 Likes

Congratulations :slight_smile: the only thing that matters is fun

3 Likes

Nice!!!

Alsoā€¦

I really liked your Prison Scene - thought it would be a great place for a STORY. :slight_smile:

We try to deliver with PWA.

Anything can happen. : )

I have a publisher project to create stories like the Prison demo, and from time to time I advance over it.

2 Likes

@satguru
Thank you for sharing the links to the github!
Looking forward to applying what you have created to some of my projects.

Now, just need to write (or find) a character builder (something like how SIMS works).

2 Likes

Your collecto.app looks great @Deltakosh to add, edit and publish my toy model collection online! :slight_smile:

Is there way I can share the created collection with web GUI (HTML5 site) as read-only for the public? So I create and edit the collection with your app, and then I export the database to my website space and put the ā€˜viewerā€™ JS-code so visitors can browse the created collection but not edit it? Maybe set some color theme as well to fit the collectionā€¦

To get an idea about possible applications for your app, check out this digital award winning website:

The submission for Lovie Awards of the site can be found here:

Iā€™m not into card decks myself but I could imagine that card deck collectors would benefit from an option to find others who have collected a card that they donā€™t have collected themselves yetā€¦ so they can trade/contact each other etc.

Q

1 Like

Hi D72. I think you forgot about the feedback you got.

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/29438-mmorpg-editor-heroonengine-open-sources/

Also search old forum for castorengine.

Remember when I nearly begged you to NOT take castor-e off-line, but instead, zip it up and let people have it, just because its HTML GUI was SO FRIGGINā€™ NICE? I assured you that it would be a great starting place and demo for others to follow/copy. Remember? (I can MAYBE find the old forum post, again).

Shall we talk about the amount of BJS lib bugs you found and helped fixā€¦ during your years of dev? It had to be near 200 bugs/anomalies found, and every time Dad72 and Deltakosh talked about theseā€¦ we ALL LEARNED TONS! (They were kind-enough to speak in English, when they could have communicated much smoother in French. How cool is THAT?) (big-time cool)

Sure, maybe Heroon and Castor didnā€™t get popular (yet) as game editors, but they sure did LOTS of other great things. AND, it is all still new. All of webGL is barely born. What we can do with webGLā€¦ is barely STARTED being explored.

You, my friend, were/are SO FAR ahead of ā€œthe gameā€, it was simply amazing, and this was at a time when most people barely know that there IS ā€œa gameā€.

I suspect that this carpentry workā€¦ is also a time for Dad72 to reflect, and I believe a new webGL plan is formulating in your brain and heart. (Iā€™m guessing, butā€¦ I know that I think about webGL while I do LOTS of other things.)

You are a ā€œbig dogā€ of BJS. Youā€™re one of the BJS founding fathers. Youā€™re a hero to some of usā€¦ and still becoming a hero to many more. You tried and succeeded-at building highly-advanced projectsā€¦ WHILE the framework was evolving super-fastā€¦ not an easy thing. You were/are THE FIRST to attempt these large thingsā€¦ in webGL. THE FIRST!

I donā€™t know how you kept your sanity. SO MUCH WORK on your partā€¦ heroic. You should be very proud of your work.

And try to keep in mind just how little time people haveā€¦ to investigate/learn new things. In a better world, we all would have more time to play-with/learn CastorEngine and HeroonEngine, and then we would marvel at it. When people donā€™t get time to investigate and learn, they canā€™t give good feedback. Itā€™s because we live in a frantic/rushed societyā€¦ and NOT your fault AT ALL.

You should be VERY proud of your accomplishments and trail-blazing. You have excellent stamina and future-visionā€¦ donā€™t ever forget that. You are a bright light and you have built some real nice webGL trails for future users. Donā€™t ā€œsell yourself shortā€ (donā€™t under-estimate the great things you have done).

The area of ā€œtroubleā€ is the interface between webGL and ā€œeveryday peopleā€. No problems between WebGL and Dad72. Those two things interfaced VERY WELL and are still that way.

The connection of worldā€¦ to webGLā€¦ is rough and still under-construction. Stay positive, D!

3 Likes

Hi Wingnut,

Thank you for your kind comment, all the praise and support.

I move on to something else for my mental health. I need manual work, the carpentry is my home where I have a 4 years training with a trainer who made the companions of the Tour de France in the largest boarding school in France (OAA: Orphan Apprentice d 'Auteuil). I also have knowledge and a mastery of woodworking that have always fascinated me more than any other work.

I did not abandon WebGL and BabylonJS, which I like very much. I have other projects to realize: An interactive story editor, but I also have a module design software to realize for carpentry.I also think to make a simulation game and management of carpentry workshop In 3D.

I just stopped my MMORPG editor because I can not finish it alone, without users, I do not really know if Iā€™m going in the right direction, so I decided to move on rather than lose years of work on this project. I especially need to do other things of manual, to work with my hands ā€¦

I greatly appreciate your message, but do not overestimate me too.For me, the founding father of Babylon is Deltakosh.I am perhaps old member here, I have seen Babylon grow, contribute in various ways, but it is Deltakosh who did a lot for his users.

In any case thank you for all your recognition Wingnut Do not worry, Iā€™ll be back with another project, but HeroonEngine, itā€™s over, burying for good, itā€™s degrading my sanity.

Carpentry has done me a lot of good, I have refound my roots, I leave my office chair and it is good not to work that his brain. The work of the wood is really good/nice/cool.

Insights from my work in progress

5 Likes