Today we’re officially unveiling our “golden path” work to help facilitate and broaden Babylon’s usage in various scenarios. For a thorough overview check out our most recent blog post, but the short version is that over the coming months we, the Babylon Team, will be creating a variety of full-fledged experiences, documenting the end-to-end process, and fixing any gaps we find in order to “pave the golden path” for creating that kind of experience. The first of these golden paths is already done and available: check out Playground to Production: Fruit Fallin’ to see the journey by which we took a Playground proof-of-concept and developed it into production software shippable on Web, iOS, and Android!
This first golden path shows a number of key patterns/skills we wanted to explore:
- Bringing code from the Playground into the Template Repository Workflow (TRW).
- Basic 2D game development.
- Implementing temporal logic with coroutines.
- Hosting and sharing the TRW test app with GitHub Pages.
- Exporting Babylon experiences from the TRW to Ionic (and thereby Web, WPA, Android, and iOS) via NPM.
So, now that we’ve got all that… What next?
As I mentioned, we want to continue to pave these golden paths for a wide variety of experiences. The long-term goal is that, no matter what kind of experience somebody wants to make with Babylon, there’s a well-trodden golden path leading somewhere similar that they can use to get started. We’ve now got a path to a Flash-style 2D game shippable on multiple platforms. What kind of path should we pave next? In other words, what kind of experience would you like us to show you how we would build?
- Should we make a “walking simulator”-style experience featuring a first-person character controller, physics-enabled environments, and Electron as a target platform?
- Should we make “postprocess library” showing how to use Babylon to make a utility for running shaders on videos, publishing that utility as an NPM package?
- Should we make a “viewer/configurator” showing how to create a 3D viewer with configuration options, then add that to an existing website a la 3D commerce?
Or something else? Ideas that I haven’t thought of? I can’t guarantee exactly what we’ll end up doing or in what order we’ll end up approaching it. But we’re making these golden paths for you, the Community, so it’s important for us to know…
What kinds of things do you want to make?