Game Editor (Dad72)

Cool! Oh… ummm… @Arte … a super-nice chap in England. HE was working-on modular cabinetry BJS project… slowly evolving it… and he didn’t speak-of commercializing it. So, I bet he would share his package… as a free thing to you… to branch-off in whatever direction you wish.

Have you started? Tested some extruded createPolygonMesh stuff… for custom cabinet-door trim?

I like fancy edging/trim… on panels. It’s one of the good things in life. Later, when we convert to re-usable modular housing, trimming will be a way of customizing those habitat modules… in a way that can be easily removed, for when the module is returned to the World Habitat Module Repository. (It’s part of another dream that I have been going-retarded-over, recently) :slight_smile:

Do you get to do some “fine” work like that, sometimes? Fancy edging/trims? (drooool) Sorry for off-topic.

1 Like

No problem for the off-topic. I like to talk about carpentry.
Yes I already make carving moldings by hand.But I prefer classic moldings that can be done quickly to the router.
My modules are of a different kind, it’s a concept that does not really exist what I want to do. Basically I want to build wooden furniture that people can assemble themselves without glue or screw and modulate at their convenience. He can change their furniture, change his desing.

I have not yet created the prototype, because I am in the process of completing my workshop in tooling, to arrange it to make it efficient, for example, on the image that I have shown, I am building a saw has a large ribbon with a powerful motor and I build other machines to save money because the machines are expensive in the trade Currently my workshop is not a definitive place, I also look for a bigger place not too much Dear. So is still in draft form, but I plan to move on all that. Same thing with Babylon that will allow me to design software useful for carpentry and also a game around carpentry.

1 Like

Game about carpentry!!! hahaha

Carpenter Carl v1.0 - First step… rough-in. Timer running. Storms approaching, Faster ya build, more chance of safety issue (bangs self in head with 2-by-4 or hits thumb with hammer). Too much storm wind… wall will tip over, or roof trusses will cascade-tip-over before roof sheeting is in place. haha. FUN! Termite attack! haha

Rain!

Too hot… slow working… need more water.

Saw blade failure, go back one step. :smiley:

Power outage. Hand-saw only.

(ooh, sorry for all that imagining. I hope I didn’t remove some dad72 idea-fun.)

What if that game was like this:

That might be fun.

Or maybe like Passpartout:

make stuff then sell it

3 Likes

A bit off topic :slight_smile: But I think about this idea already.Not sure how to implement it without having server side cost though

This is very important. Sometimes you need to take a break from a project in order to see things from a different perspective.

3 Likes

Absolutely Adam. See things from a different angle.

1 Like

Maybe, art flows through the artist, regardless of medium, and the drive is the same for both.

Thank you for building things. @Dad72 :pray:

:eagle:

2 Likes

thanks Dad72 for sharing what you are up to. I also have been taking a step back lately, but it’s because I’ve been working on a new job and not much spare time. My little spare time I am spending with my little girl.

I really do feel that working on a project is a thing we do for love of doing it. I am happy you found this joy in carpentry. I also really enjoy building things with my hands instead of a keyboard sometimes. i have been working on BabylonJS since I started purely out of enjoyment, but the time available is just very low now! Maybe you will get some enjoyment if you timebox - like a couple of hours every Sunday? :slight_smile: that’s where I’m at right now:) If my job was WebGL then it would be 60 hours :slight_smile: haha.

2 Likes

Hey @Dad72, can you release
Complete TerrainEditor & LevelEditor for Babylon.js - Announcements - HTML5 Game Devs Forum again?
Love your stuff

2 Likes

Makers will always try to make beautiful things, whether in digital or in physical form.
And I admire Dad72 greatly for been a dedicated maker of cool stuff.

Part of the discussion mentioned the gap between tech and the “rest of the world”, and the need for communication, or even persuasion. This strikes a chord with me. As a designer and solution manager for over 10 years, this is all I do: try to bring technology to those in-need. It can be very challenging and sometimes just flat-out frustrating.

Discovering BabylonJS in June last year, I was blown away by how matured the technology (webGL and 3D) was, while many people are not even aware of its existence. Outside the gaming / professional community, 3D is still considered by many to be very expensive and rely on crazy hi-end devices.

I looked around and found an open-minded business owner and began experimenting with the possibility of utilizing BabylonJS in real-world business contexts. The challenge is mainly persuasion. People are not convinced until they see results closely-related to their domain of knowledge, and not every-one is “tech-savvy” enough to foresee the potential.

However, seeing people’s reaction to the 3D contents on their mobile phone makes every effort worthwhile.

BabylonJS is a diverse community of not only sotfware engineers, but also makers of beautiful things in general (and half-ass javascript coders like me:grin:)

Have to stop rambling now. This is way off topic.

Anyway, if possible, I would very much like to see your carpentry work @Dad72, I believe they are very cool.

4 Likes

Hello,

@proace137 :
You can try online it here : TerrainEditor
You can download zip here : http://www.babylon.actifgames.com/TerrainEditor/TerrainEditor.zip

I have not updated it for a long time, but it should work fine.
I have stopped all my deposits because they are useless having no contribution.

@hcmetal Thank you for your comment. You can see a Insights of what I am currently doing. This is a large format band saw with a 2 HP motor. After, I will have to move my workshop which is not big enough. But I have to find one before.

See the work in progress here

7 Likes

Thanks alot! Exactly what I needed

With that bandsaw I would make a canoe, paddle up river, and build a cabin in the woods! :grin:

Happy to see pics when it is finished and what you create with it.

2 Likes

That’s a serious looking device.:sunglasses:
Might be part of the occupational hazard, but whenever I see a cool machine I immediately think about how to make a 3D model of it.:joy:

1 Like

In the beginning I drew it, then realize in 3d with 3ds max to see what it could give.I then to study the forces of resistance to the important point, the weaknesses eventual to reinforce and when all seemed to me good and realizable, I started the actual work.

I still have a lot to finish without neglecting the protections for the safety, but it will be a powerful saw. Currently I work with a small bandsaw not very powerful and I was quickly limit following the work I want to do.

This kind of saw in the trade costs enormously expensive, so by manufacturing it, I learn certain thing and I have the satisfaction of having done it and it will be just as powerful as a machine of the trade.

In short, all my important wooden creations are drawing in draft mode, then model in 3D to see what it gives. Then I draw the final plans by hand with the measurements.

3 Likes

Nice. I was searching for your TerrainEditor too.Thanks

1 Like

My apologies for the slow reply.
One day I realized that the project I was doing was too big for me. And do this only in your free time.
I need to recharge the batteries like @Dad72 do :). I’m trying to get back to my old hobby for a while.

with Smoke Pipe in hand :wink:

I’m really glad I found Babylon. It’s my hobby, just in another form.

4 Likes

Hi guys! Arte… cool to see you again. Did you make that totem thingy? That’s pretty nice. I got a little “woody”. :smiley:

So, @Arte, what’s the status of your cabinet stuff? I know you were more “shelving/storage modules” but… do you have some great-working “snap” stuff? Has anyone invented “snap-script”… so a bunch of assorted mesh can be loaded-in at pos 0,0,0, and then run the snap-script thru the snap-engine, and kyboom, it all assembles per the snap-script? Huh?

Is that insane? 3rd party snap’n’group engine? :smiley: What’s shakin’ in the world of aligning junk?

Aside: Anyone else seeing forum edit-window cursor disappear… when editor preview pane is open? (firefox esr) Also saw disappearing cursor after selecting Arte’s name in line below. Re-opened preview pane… cursor came back ON in editor window. Multiple RETURNS when editing… might be problem, too. Something is weird, somewhere.

wow, I’m searching for such a game