GUI Editor Text Not Displaying

I created a simple scrollviewer with three textblocks and now the text blocks are not visible. Please advise.

Thanks,
Michael

cc @carolhmj

Hi,
Thatā€™s because youā€™ve hidden them in the hierarchy (left menu - eye icon). And the parent stackpanel was also not visible. When you import the GUI created with the Editor, ā€˜isVisibleā€™ is kept from the editor set-up. If you want to show controls or containers that have been hidden when saving from the editor, you need to call it and set ā€˜isVisibleā€™ to true.

3 Likes

Not having the isVisible property in the property pane is confusing.

1 Like

Yes, I sort of agree. Looking at the doc and tooltip both only say ā€œShow/hide controlā€.
May be we could enhance the doc and/or tooltip to say something like ā€˜set(s) isVisible propertyā€™?
Capture dā€™eĢcran 2023-06-10 aĢ€ 07.49.21

cc @carolhmj

Hmmm I guess we could change this in the tooltip, maybe combine the two phrasings like ā€œShow/Hide control (property name: isVisible)ā€ :thinking: @PatrickRyan do you have any thoughts on the best phrasing for usability? :sweat_smile:

@carolhmj, I think we can simply state ā€œSets isVisibleā€ like @mawa suggested. I think the parameter name is pretty self-explanatory so we shouldnā€™t need a lot of extra wording. The disconnect here is that the visibility icon could imply that it is simply a visibility setting on the editor rather than the parameter to set visibility at the control level.

The reason we pulled this parameter into the tree view rather than making it a checkbox on the control properties panel itself was to help users quickly debug what controls were visible in any state. You only need to hover the pointer on the control name to see its visibility state instead of needing to click on each one to expose the state. We could, however, add a control also in the properties panel that duplicates the state of the icon in the tree view so that it clears up any other confusion. This keeps the ease of being able to spot check visibility while also not isolating one parameter from the rest. We could duplicate the eye in the name field at the top of the properties panel without much rework to the UI. Thoughts, @carolhmj?

1 Like

I donā€™t see a problem with this, it seems like a good solution!

1 Like

PR for it: [GUI Editor] Add isVisible property on the common control properties ā€¦ by carolhmj Ā· Pull Request #13952 Ā· BabylonJS/Babylon.js (github.com)

3 Likes