Inspector - Frame Steps Duration

Hi all

I’m trying to understand “Frame Steps Duration” from the Inspector, in order to optimize my scene.

First, what is the “meshes selection” in the “frame steps duration” section of the inspector ?
In one of my scene, composed of hundreds of meshes (most of them are instanced) and millions of vertices, when I hide all my objects (so, 0 draw calls), I still get a non zero value in the “meshes selection”. I would like to specify that I don’t need any BJS octree optimisation or BJS selection/picking, all is done by myself (because it highly depends on the type of objects I handle).
Is there a way to vanish the value of “meshes selection” ?!

Second, even if I disable all of my objects, is there a way to improve the frame rate ? (in the screen, you can see I get 28FPS) ? Or is it a limitation due to memory consumption (nof vertices, materials, textures …) ?

Cordially
Brett

Hey!

• meshes selection is the process to find out which mesh is visible from the camera standpoint. You can boost perf here: Optimize your scene - Babylon.js Documentation
  • so to completely vanish the meshes selection just run: scene.freezeActiveMeshes()
  • 28fps with no active meshes is HIGHLY suspicious :wink: Can you repro in the pg?

Hi Deltakosh

Thanks for your advice :blush:

There were an unwanted process during the render loop (from my side), even if nothing had to be drawn. After correct this, I now get about 45-50 FPS instead of 28 FPS.

Still in my really expensive scene with all the objects hidden, I notice that the following line takes about 10 ms to compute : this.mainScene.render(); (this line is inside my render loop)

I tried to use scene.freezeActiveMeshes(), but I think I don’t completely understand its behavior and how/where to use it.
When I use it, the value of meshes selection effectively vanishes, but the global frame time grows up, and in particular this.mainScene.render(); which now takes about 35 ms to compute.
I suppose that I should freeze/unfreeze in particular cases, but I have no idea where.

Brett

freeze will actually lock down the active meshes list (no more frustum clipping at all)
If your scene is large this may NOT be the correct optimization

maybe if your meshes are static you can freeze their world matrix? (mesh.freezeWorldMatrix())

Anyhow, I recommend reading that: Optimize your scene - Babylon.js Documentation

You can have a look at this thread too: