Intro to Multi-Pass Shaders

Hi, everyone!

I am diving into shader land and having difficulties trying to implement muli-pass shaders (or muli-pass rendering? what’s the difference?).

I can write some simple single-pass shaders, but I don’t quite know how to begin to build a multi-pass shader in BabylonJS.

What is the bare-bone concept / model / method? Most of the related topics on the forum are a bit too advanced (or into specific details) for me.

Sorry for the noob question. I would very much appreciate it if anyone can give me a birds-eye-view concept, any leads to follow, or some reading materials to begin with.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Hi!

Most of the time you can initially fake it but having two identical meshes (like clones) using different shaders.

When that work we can talk about next step :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks!
Makes sense.
Yeah, come to think of it, this simple idea can actually do a lot of tricks.:grinning:

1 Like

Yeah and then we could talk about optimizations and using the inner deep power of babylon.js (niark niark niark…diabolic laught…)

0 Likes

Facing deadlines in real-world projects, I always end up with the “simple-stupid-but-it-works” kind of solution / hack, and nobody can argue against its effectiveness.

However, when I put my study hat on, the Calling of the Void is just irresistible.:joy:

1 Like