Npm install issue

I’m trying to run the playground locally. I get the following issue running npm install (version 8.1.2, nodejs 16.13.2, Windows 11) on the root folder (its at tags/5.34.0).
Normally I never ask a question about compilation but… what did I do wrong?

@dev/build-tools@1.0.0 compile
tsc -b tsconfig.build.json

> src/ltsTransformer.ts:121:61 - error TS2339: Property ‘find’ does not exist on type ‘never’.

121 (node.decorators && node.decorators.find((c: { kind: any }) => c.kind === ts.SyntaxKind.DeclareKeyword))

so strange @RaananW any idea ?

very strange. Can I ask - do you have a globally installed typescript? what version is it?

I don’t have typescript installed globally, also not through indirect dependency

node.decorators comes directly from typescript; this is why I was asking that. I just made a fresh install to be sure it is still working. Was there any error during dependency installation?

Hello @frank-unovica just checking in if you are still having issues?

I still get endless compilation errors whenever I touch something Babylon.js; I must have spent 100-200 hours on it in the last year. I’m rather cynical at this point, but still desperate for a 3D + XR solution for our application that will work on the web, mobile and desktop.
I now tried again.
I had to google how to build Babylon.js since buildSystem.md is not referenced in the readme.
I followed the instructions to run the playground (in my earlier attempt I just ran something like npm run build in the main and playground directories).

git clone https://github.com/BabylonJS/Babylon.js.git
cd Babylon.js
npm run watch:dev
npm run serve -w @tools/babylon-server

'webpack' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

npm i -g webpack (not mentioned in the documentation)

Error: Cannot find module 'webpack-cli/package.json'

npm i -g webpack-cli (not mentioned in the documentation)

[webpack-cli] Failed to load 'C:\Users\frank\repos\Babylon.js\packages\tools\babylonServer\webpack.config.js' config
[webpack-cli] Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\frank\repos\Babylon.js\node_modules\@dev\build-tools\dist\index'. Please verify that the package.json has a valid "main" entry
    at tryPackage (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:353:19)
    at Function.Module._findPath (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:566:18)
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:919:27)
    at Function.Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:778:27)
    at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1005:19)
    at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:102:18)
    at Object.<anonymous> (C:\Users\frank\repos\Babylon.js\packages\tools\babylonServer\webpack.config.js:3:20)
    at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1101:14)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1153:10)
    at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:981:32) {
  code: 'MODULE_NOT_FOUND',
  path: 'C:\\Users\\frank\\repos\\Babylon.js\\node_modules\\@dev\\build-tools\\package.json',
  requestPath: '@dev/build-tools'

The dist folder does not exist.
I actually wanted to contribute to Babylon.js but it’s just absolutely hopeless and depressing.

I’m sorry to hear that, but we’ve recently made many changes to the documentation in order to make it easier to find information such as how to contribute. We moved the Start Contributing to Babylon.js | Babylon.js Documentation (babylonjs.com) section to be easier to find with instructions on how to get the project building.

Have you run the command npm install on the top level Babylon.js folder, as asked for in the documentation?

You should not need to install webpack globally, because that is included in the npm install step.

1 Like

Ok, I overlooked it; it works now, thanks!
Although the “Playground Serve” tasks seem to be missing in VSCode.

1 Like

Oh, thanks for letting me know, they’re using old names, I’m going to update it :slight_smile: You can use the Lauch Playground Task

EDIT: oh my bad, going through it again, it’s because “Playground Serve” is a task, but “Launch Playground” is the name of the launch configuration that runs the task. I think it makes more sense to only mention the launch configuration names on the documentation as that’s what we mainly interact with in VS Code, so I’ll definitely update the docs

1 Like

Thanks; I also managed to run the native Windows playground without issues.

Babylonjs-react-native for Windows is a very different story, but since it doesn’t have support for input or debugging anyway, I guess I’ll just have to wait until that matures. I already reported the issues.

1 Like