Optimal light position for making the object most realistic

Hi!

I am studying lights & shadows reading Babylon.js Documentation these days and was wondering if anybody thought of creating lighting/shadowing way to make object as realistic as possible.

I tried adding secondary/multiple light(s) in an attempt to make my object more realistic.

Would you like to share your opinions?

That’s a complex and open question :slight_smile:
Direct lighting is not the only part of the equation. Surfacing, indirect lighting, … are also a big factor to image quality.
It’s hard to make good rendering with only a few lights and shadow. IMHO, IBL and HDRI can help improve quality a lot with minimal efforts.
Using High-Contrast, Image-Based Lighting in Babylon.js | by Babylon.js | Medium

3 Likes

Oh my god haha

I just figured that I had not done enough research. I didn’t think it would be this complex. I thought there would be some sort of like an equation.

Apparently, there are so many ways for lighting and shadowing to make an object more realistic.

Thanks for the link attached and pointing directions for research!!

2 Likes

Is the best way is to manually set/have as many light as the object requires to be seen the most realistic?

I also watched this video on YouTube from Babylon Channel. I hope more people can watch this and how IBL and DDS work.

1 Like

Nop, modeling/texturing is equaly important. For example, you can use photogrammetry to produce realistic assets:

2 Likes

WOW, this is amazing! but perhaps not quite what I want.

I am sorry about not explaining what I want to do.

I am trying to let clients customize products so I have to render based on images they submit.

What I am trying is that I import an object then once the client adds images or textures(bump texture), I add them by/with mesh.diffuseTexture and mesh.bumpTexture.

I realized that bumpMap and positioning lights are the most important when it comes to make the object more realistic, but I was getting tired with manually positioning lights and checking how the object looks like. So I was trying to find out if there’s any better way.

I am also using an .env but without a light, the object goes all black once texture is added. I figured at least one light is required.

Light should not be required with .env as long as you are using a PBR Material and not the standard one.

3 Likes