Remove occluded meshes / mesh optimization

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to remove occluded meshes from the model itself as part of my project to build a car configurator.

The decimated model (decimated using Autodesk VRED) is still large and has a lot of polygons and meshes that probably cannot be seen by the user.

We have been exploring Unity Pixyz as well to help with this (I don’t have the trial for it, my colleague does)

I was wondering whether Babylon.js might have something to offer when it comes to removing occluded meshes. I checked Babylon.js Specifications and https://editor.babylonjs.com/ to see whether there are any features for editing 3D models themselves beyond optimizing a 3D model during rendering.

I wasn’t able to find capabilities for my needs, but wasn’t sure whether I missed something - and hence I thought I’d check here with a question

Can you just open up your model in inspector, turn off all the meshes that can’t be seen and then export to GLB. I believe the export won’t include disabled meshes or there is an option to exclude disabled meshes.

Also are you using Draco compression for your GLB? Are you concerned about load times or rendering performance?

Both load times and rendering performance will be critical as we want to get as photorealistic as possible.
Draco compression will be used to reduce transmission over the wire, but goal is to keep the uncompressed model smaller as well so that when we uncompress it in the browser it shouldn’t take up too much memory.

KTX for textures also seems to be the best way to go to ensure low memory usage and yet achieve great textures.

By inspector you mean the editor? I am going to setup a BabylonJS repo soon. But initially was doing some investigation of capabilities with BabylonJS and Webgi

If you load you model in sandbox.babylonjs.com or playground.babylonjs.com you can open the inspector which gives you a scene tree that shows your mesh hierarchy. You can click the eye icon next to meshes to hide the mesh and see how it affects your scene. The last tab in the inspector allows you to export your scene as a GLB file.