Snowpack community template

Hi, I have been using snowpack for the last few months and thought it would be cool to kickstart community templates for javascript and typescript.

What is Snowpack?

Snowpack is a lightning-fast frontend build tool, designed for the modern web.

It is an alternative to heavier, more complex bundlers like webpack or Parcel in your development workflow… (read more on Snowpack - The faster frontend build tool)

A snowpack template gets a babylonjs site up and running on your computer with 4 easy commands. You don’t need to use git or download any code yourself. You just need node and a package manager like npm, yarn or pnpm (I recommend pnpm).

npx create-snowpack-app new-dir --template snowpack-babylon

Then in that directory new-dir (or choose your own directory name) you have a full babylon project setup :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Here is how to start with yarn, which is probably most common these days).

cd new-dir
yarn install
yarn start

Your blazing fast babylon site is up and running with 50ms or less startup time, hot reloading, etc.! Large ecosystem of plugins and bundlers for easy customization.

I have a typescript template started, will try to make some time later this week. Hoping for some feedback from the forum - should it include inspector or GUI or anything extra like loading assets/models/textures. I don’t want it to be too opinionated, so would prefer to leave out physics and maybe can add some recipes for those common projects. Looking forward to some feedback. Cheers.

edit: template source is here brianzinn/snowpack-babylon: snowpack babylon.js template (github.com)

5 Likes

That is incredible!

1 Like

TypeScript template added (same instructions as above):

npx create-snowpack-app new-dir --template snowpack-babylon-typescript

The only thing I added from the blank template was eslint (actually to both templates), but kept prettier. Thought it would be a helpful tool (tslint has been deprecate since 2019).

Anyway, if anybody uses it and has a suggestion on if it should contain a more thorough example with maybe GUI or loading assets then it wouldn’t take much to add. On the one hand it may be easier to remove what is unneeded…

brianzinn/snowpack-babylon-typescript: babylon.js community typescript template (github.com)

4 Likes

This is great @brianzinn . I’ve been wanting to try Snowpack + Babylon + TS for a while and this made it easy.