VSPACE - build minecraft-style worlds in the browser

Hey everyone!

I’m working on a new project. Think Minecraft meets YouTube. Pre-launch, but all feedback welcome. And ff you build anything cool with it, let me know because I’d love to see!

If you’re familiar with minecraft, it should be fairly straightforward to explore spaces or start building your own. Pro tip, you can fly which makes building much easier and quicker!

From a tech perspective, most of the work has gone in to the meshing/lighting code which is custom. Big thanks to this blog post for the core lighting alogorithm. I haven’t optimised at all so I’m sure there are big wins for loading/meshing, but performance is ok for now on laptop/desktop.

If you have any questions, please ask! :slight_smile:

https://entervspace.com/

8 Likes

Really nice @tyro

I like the way you initially present it as though it’s a static video thumbnail with a big play button and, on user click, it goes fullscreen interactive. Great UX paradigm for web 3D/VR. Did you come up with that yourself?

1 Like

Hey, thanks for trying VSPACE out. :slight_smile:

For the UX, I can’t recall seeing it elsewhere, but it seemed a natural extension from how YouTube works. It’s been very intuitive with testers.

1 Like

OMG this is freaking cooL! We need to add it to the website @thomlucc @PirateJC

1 Like

Amazing! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Added new water physics (buoyancy and friction), and custom spawn points so you can set the position where someone starts when they visit one of your spaces. :slight_smile: