What is the proper workflow for creating a Babylon Project?

What I want to know is what is the common way of organizing your code, adding assets to a scene and adding logic to those assets (to make them move, interact etc). That’s the one thing I haven’t found is, what is the common workflow for development? Is the Editor meant the be the standard way to develop Babylon projects or is there another traditional way of doing so? I just feel like since the editor is just a community supported thing rather than an official Babylon tool, I assume it must not be the main method of creating a game with Babylon? What if I were developing without an editor but simply with VSCode, Sandbox and my browser for testing, how would I setup the project to be similar in function to the editor?

This is a complex question to answer, because it depends a lot on your goals, skill sets, etc.

A code-heavy workflow might start with a PG snippet that is then integrated into a webpack-based client application as code classes or components, whereas if your assets are largely pre-baked in blender and the team is mostly artists or whatnot you may opt to go with a more Editor-based experience.

@RaananW has a project template for the former up on his GitHub - GitHub - RaananW/babylonjs-webpack-es6: Babylon.js basic scene with typescript, webpack, es6 modules, editorconfig, eslint, hot loading and more. Will even make coffee if you ask nicely.

That is a good place to start for TS projects, I’ve adapted it for my currently ongoing project - you can find it Here.

HTH

1 Like

Here is the correct link - GitHub - jelster/space-truckers at ch3-final

Thanks for catching that labris!

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah I think I just need some kind of sample template that I can try basing my own project off of and go from there. I’ll check out those repos!