What is the Babylon editor for?

Hi everyone,

I’m fairly new to Babylon, but I really like the potential. I’m coming from more of an art background, but I’m getting up to speed with Javascript and I already have a solid foundation in html and css. I also know Unity and Unreal fairly well and some c++.

As I’m getting up to speed with Babylon, I’m finding things a bit fragmented. So I’m coming here to see if I can get a few answers to questions I’ve been having.

1. What is the purpose of the editor and why is in not featured more prominently on the site? Where does code created in the editor sit in relation to the javascript project? Is there a way to export the javascript or is that all contained within the .babylon file?
  2. What is the advantage of using a .babylon file vs a .gltf or .glb?
  3. I’m pretty proficient with Blender, but I’m wondering if I should be using the 2.79 babylon exporter or the 2.8 version? From what I’ve seen, the 2.79 version seems to be more fully featured.
  4. What is the best practice for setting up an interactive project? Is it loading/appending a glb/gltf/babylon file into your scene and then access elements within it to run interaction? Or if it’s possible, is it best to just put everything into a .babylon file?
  5. What is the best way to edit a .babylon file? I opened one in visual studio code and it looked like it was minified.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Cheers,

G

Pinging @julien-moreau who is the author of the editor

Thanks,

I’m going through the documentation right now which helps. I think I’m starting to get a handle of things to some degree. But lots of new questions starting to pop up.

@gbball welcome!
I can answer the .1: the editor is more a community project than an official BabylonJS supported project and you can find some informations about using AND programming with/for the BabylonJS Editor here: Explaining the Workflow - Babylon.js Documentation

For the 2. I would let @bghgary and @Deltakosh answer as they master better the subject :slight_smile:

1 Like

for 2. Babylon file format works only for Babylon.js but it is a complete scene file (everything is included, lights, cameras, animations, physics, collisions, particles, etc…). glTF is the de facto open standard but it is more limited as it only contains meshes and cameras (and to some extend lights with an associated extension)

1 Like