180-degree 3D video (VR180) support?

Hi, maybe I’m not testing it correctly but it feels like it’s regressed a bit. Even with halfDomeMode: true and videoDome.videoMode = BABYLON.VideoDome.MODE_SIDEBYSIDE I am not seeing the half dome effect you had created previously. This afternoon I downloaded preview and used that to run my test script. I verified I was calling the correct script by changing videos.

I tried it with and with the videoMode above and with and without your workaround code:
scene.onBeforeCameraRenderObservable.remove(videoDome._onBeforeCameraRenderObserver);
scene.onBeforeCameraRenderObservable.add((camera) => {
videoDome.videoTexture.uOffset = camera.isRightCamera ? 0.0001 : 0.5;
});

Firefox

MS Edge (also the movement in VR was very hard to control (super fast/sensitive) but maybe that’s just a problem with preview?)

Thanks again for working on this! If you have a different script I can try or want me to run it using a different branch, just let me know.

Can you share a playground with the code you are using?

Pinging @raananw and @sebavan

Would be great to see the code you are using. You do need to set the side-by-side more, and there is no need for the workaround anymore.

Hi,

Turns out it was an issue with the downloaded preview version; when I switched to https://preview.babylonjs.com/… links instead of the preview I downloaded I got much better results. Firefox looked correct.

My code is https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#U7YW0K#1 I’m not sure how to get to the preview version of the sandbox so that part doesn’t match my environment. The code is same as yours, just with some extra VR bits (and using we’re both using the preview versions of the scripts, as noted before).

In Edge it looks like there’s still something going on with which eye gets which camera.

I had some time so I tried making a 2K version of the video and it came up in Chrome! It also worked in the Oculus Quest! So the issue with Chrome and derivatives seems much more tractable than before. 2K is probably too low for training where you need to be able to read a screen in VR so I’m still out of luck but it’s good to know the problem is likely video resolution/codec support.

Thanks again for all your work on this!

Glad to know the first fix worked, I let @RaananW take a look on Edge, and will help him back if needed :slight_smile:

1 Like