4.1 is 12% faster, what does it mean? + stress test model, Performance for bachelor thesis

Hi there, I am exploring performance and 3D frameworks for my thesis in software engineering. I’d like to know how babylon.js defines performance and if you could break down what indicators you measure when you say 12 % faster.

I’ve read some posts in the forum and browsed the docs but I am afraid I can’t find an answer.

I also wonder (I can move to another thread if you like) if you can recommend what to think about when designing a “heavy model” for stress testing, for example, the one used here

From WebGL to WebGPU: A perspective from Babylon js by David Catuhe

Thank you!

Ps. Sorry for focusing on your latest release, I’m also excited for the next one! :slightly_smiling_face: :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hello and welcome!

for each release we have a set of scenes (defined here: Babylon.js/config.json at master · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub) that we run on a reference setup (nvidia 980 + 8th gen intel core).

We compare the perf (ie memory usage, time per frame) to get the global improvement

1 Like

For heavy model, there is no rule of thumb but I personally consider anything which requires 32bits indexes to be heavy (so more than 65536 vertices)

1 Like

Thanks for welcoming me! Aha, okay, I understand. Thank you so much! Really helpful for me.

Could I maybe use the one you used? If it’s available somewhere.

The file contains IDs for playgrounds that you can load and check yourself. Each ID starts with a hashtag, for example "playgroundId": "#8S19ZC#1"

Everything we do is open source, including most if not all of the models we are using. Feel free to use it as you see fit, in accordance to the license (which is usually very permissive :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Ah, thank you, I didn’t realise those were the ones, but now it seems obvious in hindsight :slightly_smiling_face: