A post-launch Version 6 Com campaign?

Oops, that’s a bit far from my ‘small country’. I sometimes by on my way to OZ, but that’s usually only once in a year. Still, I could do something that can be done remotely (if needed).

Right. But a company like MS surely has parterships with convention centers/hotels, etc… May be they could activate the relation to help getting better conditions and support to greet the event? Just a thought.

They could but not for free which is the whole point here.

Well, nothing is ever ‘free’ is it? Your time, My time, isn’t. Unless you are the owner of a big mansion or a yacht where you could host the event, there will be a need for a budget and some resources.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention @phaselock - :singapore: :rocket: . I’d be up to support a local meetup anytime, but agreed, getting MS space could be both convenient and attractive for the crowd. I’ve seen the local office being active in hosting dev meetups a while back, so it’s probably just about finding the right peeps to talk to.

And @mawa I kinda like your idea of an organized shoutout, I’m picturing the social media version of a flash mob by devs. Now that I put it this way, I have no idea why i like it but I do :joy:. Put me on the up-for-it list if you hold one :wink:.

2 Likes

I obviously cannot guarantee anything, but if you wanted to organize an event, I’d be happy to look into it for you!

2 Likes

So, in fine, may I ask where we stand with this idea of a post-launch version 6 campaign, likely focusing on Havok and from a joint effort of the Team and Community? I don’t want to force push anything but I know how things are. We have been having a great discussion here but I guess in the end, making something (just something) out of it requires to make a debrief and then, a decision (or the decision to not do anything). Post-launch v6 won’t go forever, so at some point it will have to be ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

The way I see it and from all the inputs and comments above, I would likely make this statement:

1. Creating some ‘official’ content to highlight Havok and the opportunities for the future of creating synergies with the MS Teams would not be just a one-shot effort and would (in my opinion) be worth it. It can be used both in this campaign (if we do it) but also both on the side of the public (in website, on the yt channel and support any internal or external com event (meeting, workshop,… and even corpo and more.
  2. Obviously, there’s a desire from at least some members of the Community to eventually support a cross-com op. May be we should try shout out to them/us, see who would engage/commit and how?
  3. Meet-up, tech session and workshops kind of seem to stick out. And it’s no wonder. Sure it would require a bit (or a bit more) efforts on the side of coordination, but (in my opinion, it should be possible to create an event that would be held both offline and online (with a live Stream). I don’t think the size or location of the Event really matters. It could be 3 people, 10 or a 100 and all other participants would join online. In fact it could be even broadcasted from the BJS Office with just some members of the Team and anyone nearby that could drop by to say ‘hello’.
    Food for thoughts… and meanwhile, have a great weekend :sunglasses:
1 Like

Totally agree @mawa

Without a doubt Havok is a great advance in the development of BJS and provides us with a tool with incredible potential.

There is also a detail that keeps me worried about the backward compatibility of Havok with older iOS devices, we already know that communication with Apple on these issues is complicated, but we have to take into account that web traffic on mobile devices clearly exceeds computers and this becomes an impediment in developing apps using Havok.

I don’t want to be negative on this, but it seems a bit risky to promote Havok to developers right now without offering full compatibility.

Obviously this is just my humble opinion, but I think it is an aspect that should be taken into account.

Have a nice Weekend group :rocket::rocket::rocket:

Want my opinion on this? I’m gonna give it anyways :grinning:
I have known Apple for over 3 decades. I have owned dozens of Apple products from the very first one to the latest one. I had contacts with Apple resellers and devs. In fact, I’m typing this from my MacPro. I love Apple products and (‘parts of’ the) OS. For the ergonomy and productivity. Though, I think I can say I hate everything else. Apple only cares about what is proprietary. Think of how long it took them to integrate Office, Intel CPU, NV GPUs and then, more recently, the status of WebGL in their fancy proprietary browser and Internet protocols. Apple’s philosophy is simple when it comes to anything that is not Apple. It’s a very basic calculation of ‘income’ vs ‘reputation’. Whenever the first exceeds the later, Apple will eventually make the effort. And it can take a decade. It sometimes took a decade. Want my advice: If you want Apple to do anything for something that is not Apple, force push them. It’s the only way I know. Of course, my opinion only.

1 Like

I knew about your long experience with Apple, so I wanted to encourage you to give your opinion :grin:

We agree then and that causes me more uncertainty with the Havok retro compatibility issue.

1 Like

Keep faith :grin: We’ll make it there (eventually) :sweat_smile:

1 Like