A question about sound files and audio

Although BJS has the ability to load audio/sound files, I have always used Howler.js because of its ability to create “sound sprites” What this means is I could create one sound file of weather effects (for example rain, wind, thunder) then use that one file to play the appropriate sound at a particular time. So one file replaces three and I just choose when to start and stop the appropriate sound in that one file.

Several years back, I asked about this feature and could it be added to the Babylon Sound functionality, but I kind not find anything about it in the documentation.

So was it ever added?

cheers, gryff :slight_smile:

Hey Gryff!

Nope it was not. I still think it is a good idea though but we did not work on it for now

@Deltakosh : Well that is too bad David. I do find it useful. For those who perhaps did not understand my first post here is some typical code:

var sound = new Howl({
urls: [‘sounds.mp3’, ‘sounds.ogg’],
sprite: {
rain: [0, 2500],
thunder: [3000, 1000],
wind [5000, 9000]
}
});

// play the weather
sound.play(‘rain’);

The first number is the start time and the second number is the length both in milliseconds. Useful for battle sounds, background sounds, and holding conversations where the response to a question might be different depending on the scene conditions that exist at the time. And files are easy to create with my sound program - Audacity. And of course a lot less clutter on my HD

Maybe one day … he says hopefully

Let’s create an issue for that feature on the repo :slight_smile:I’ll find time to do it for you

Please just create the feature request (and provide some sample sounds I can use to test)

1 Like

@Deltakosh: Ok David will do. And TY for your efforts :slight_smile:

1 Like