Babylon 5 roadmap?

Hi,

I have search a Babylon version 5 roadmap, without any luck for me.

Is there any documentation on what to expect here, like breaking changes, improvements, WebGPU etc ?

//Olav

1 Like

Adding our fantastics @PirateJC and @thomlucc to answer this one.

1 Like

have a look here: Babylon.js/what’s new.md at master · BabylonJS/Babylon.js (github.com)

1 Like

Hey @webgrid

Don’t worry, you’re not finding anything because we haven’t formally published anything yet about Babylon 5.0.

First of all, know that Babylon.js is always backwards compatible. It’s a core tenant of what we do here. So you don’t need to worry about breaking changes.

Second - as for roadmap…we haven’t traditionally ever really shared a formal roadmap on the forum before…not because of a lack of transparency, but mainly because we haven’t really had people formally ask before.

So that said, thanks for the awesome question.

Please know that everything that I say here is subject to change and flexibility. Quality is critically important to us, and we maintain a strict atmosphere of flexibility to ensure we can hold features/advancements back from wide release if they aren’t at the quality bar that we expect to deliver to this amazing community.

The predominant headline of Babylon 5.0 will be WebGPU support. You can of course play with this today, but we’ll “formally release” our full support for this with Babylon 5.0

Here’s a high level list of other features that we are currently planning on releasing with Babylon 5.0.

Compute Shaders (through WebGPU)
Animation Curve Editor
GUI Editor
Visual State Machine
Mobile Reflector Tools
Infinite Morph Targets

There are too many other smaller features and items to list…improvements and smaller features we add along the way, but those are some of the big ones.

Again this is not designed to be a complete list, and not to be taken as concrete…subject to change, but these are some major things that we’re working on and thinking about.

I hope this somewhat answers your question.

10 Likes

Thanks for a quick and informative answer, and I really look forward playing with Babylon 5 when it’s released.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

//Olav

1 Like

Some Babylon 5 videos that might come in handy for the release:

This is probably going to get old. You might want to skip 5 and go right to 10. LOL

4 Likes

As as kind of a technical roadmap one can use 5.0 milestones - Issues · BabylonJS/Babylon.js · GitHub

2 Likes