Babylon AR image tracking

Hello, first of all, congratulations to all for the new version 5 of Babylon that you have just released and thank you very much to the entire community for the help you give us.
I just saw this video https://twitter.com/i/status/1522321788075593729 and would like to know if I can get the image tracking for augmented reality as seen in the first few seconds (the ship turning on the marker) using babylon only. I mean to be able to develop an augmented reality experience for the web like that only with babylon, so far I have tried with ar.js for that kind of thing and the results were not good.
On the other hand, some time ago I had seen some AR image tracking tests in babylon AR but it was necessary to compile something using webassembly.
Could you give me some clue about what should be used to achieve a good quality AR experience on the web (not application).
Thank you very much in advance!

adding @syntheticmagus

1 Like

Hi Gustavo_Font,

As far as I’m aware, the WebXR Image Tracking work is the only currently-active serious effort to make image tracking available at a browser level. There are independent efforts like the projects you mentioned as well as proprietary technologies like 8th Wall, but I don’t think any of those will give you the kind of quality you might hope for from a native offering.

You might be able to get more information by directly contacting the people associated with WebXR Image Tracking, but my guess is that for the time being that feature is simply unavailable on browsers at this time. Of the currently viable options, 8th Wall is probably going to be the most production-ready, especially if you’ve already encountered problems with AR.js. As for the Babylon AR demos, you could follow the patterns exemplified there and probably get some very good results by heavily tuning for your particular scenario, but that’s almost certainly going to be the most labor-intensive of your options, requiring a lot of very specialized work to even attempt it.

Sorry I don’t have any really good solutions, but hopefully this at least gives you some things to try. Best of luck!

Thank you very much for the answer @syntheticmagus. At one point I saw something quite promising using opencv for tracking and some framework for 3D (three, a-frame or even babylon). I think I’ll keep looking that way.
If I manage to find or create a quality solution, I’ll let you know.
Thank you very much again!

1 Like

Sounds good. OpenCV was actually the basis for the old BabylonAR demo—that’s the library I was building to WASM so I could use its ArUco marker tracking capabilities—so if you’re interested in going down that route then there might be some bits of that code/approach you can reuse. Glad you have a good direction to explore, and best of luck!

1 Like