Babylon file vs Gltf vs obj

Now we have the new relase of Babylon JS, I will start with the new blender 2.8 relase too. :slight_smile: im so exited

Im asking about what is the best format to use for my scene with those updates, with nice performances ?

Until know i used .babylon file, but with them, i used “blender render”. and make my material worlklow heavy.
And now Im asking me if it would be the best way to use gltf file with PBR material ?
I will try to still have nice performance but of course a good look :slight_smile:

I don’t have experience with .babylon, but glTF works pretty great with Blender 2.80 (and 2.79).

The glTF importer/exporter is also an official Khronos project: GitHub - KhronosGroup/glTF-Blender-IO: Blender glTF 2.0 importer and exporter, so if you run into problems, please file issues there :slight_smile:

I really cannot speak to glTF or obj, but coming to 2.80 and also from internal render to nodes is a really big step. Much bigger than which exporter you use. If you concentrate on using the Principled BDSF shader, it will both make it easier, and allow you to go either way.

I think the .babylon format exports a larger set of data, like dynamic shadows or switching between std & pbr materials, than glTF. glTF can go to lots of places of course, but if all you are doing is BJS, you can just keep the .blend files around to keep you options open. You probably want to do that anyway.

One area of difference might be file size. Coming from a .babylon format you think might be in for sticker shock with glTF. Remember text files can use standard gzip transfer to the client without you doing anything so formats like .babylon or .glTF sizes should be multiplied by 0.3 when compared with .glb.

As you are new here (to the forum at least), this area might be a good spot for you to do some experiments, and let us all know what works and what does not, cause there is not much beyond “I like this way, but I have never tried anything else”.

Just wanted to add the glTF (and the binary version .glb) supports Draco mesh compression, which may dramatically reduce export size if you have very large meshes. It was included in Blender 2.80 nightlies last week I think :slight_smile:

Hi, gys, tanks for your answers, its great.
yes its my first post here, I still was in the old forum until i discoverd this one :smiley:

1 Like