Babylon.js stopped working for me on chrome windows 10

@Deltakosh , did you ever set the service worker for the playground? I don’t remember seeing it in code, but i might have missed it. It’s the only thing i can think of that might cause such a behavior

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1347912&q=OS%3DWindows&can=2

Did a quick google search, and found this issue. Does this seem like something that could be related? If all I have to do is downgrade my chrome version, I’ll take that as the solution.

It’s working fine again for me right this moment.

I originally suspected it was some CDN issue, my main project serves its own BJS though.
shrug solar flare maybe. Hopefully arcman’s issue is not more serious.

1 Like

It’s also working for me at the moment.

Edit: Bug is back again.

Is there some way for us to upload and share profiles we capture from the chrome debugger console?

In the mean time I’ve uploaded a performance profile capture on chrome here:

I used this playground:

1 Like

Thanks for the trace, I do not understand how getContext could take that long :slight_smile: it is insane:

Could you open a bug on the chromium bug tracker ? then share the bug link here and I ll try to ping a couple ppl at MS and Google about the issue.

Could you also attached the clipboard copy of chrome://gpu with the bug and lets double check why it could hang that much.

1 Like

Thank you so much, @sebavan, I really appreciate your help in this.

Here’s my chrome://gpu clipboard as a .txt file:

What would you title the error report for chromium? Canvas getContext stalls for a long time?

@sebavan okay, here’s the chromium issue:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1348258

1 Like

So I also noticed a few other things, if I let a single tab load for the 3-5 minutes it takes for a babylon scene to load, be it from a playground or localhost, then every tab will work. This even applies to a new incognito window, bizarre.

Three js scenes seem to work always.

Also, the more interesting thing, the babylon js scenes seem to load just fine through whatever iframe environment is being used to load them up in the docs pages, for example all of these work fine from the doc page:

but if I try to load up the examples in a separate pg tab, it freezes as usual.

1 Like

@RaananW can you think of anything who could create this in the playground ?

I manually downloaded a windows update that never auto-updated for me. After installing the windows update and restarting my computer everything works normally again. That really sucked. Thank you @sebavan @RaananW @Deltakosh for taking the time to look into this.

3 Likes

Ohhhh great !!! this was pretty scary !!!

2 Likes

I am so happy it is working now. I am still trying to understand what could cause such a behavior. Different tabs are sandboxed, so it couldn’t have been some blocking scripts between the pages. It wasn’t a network issue, and we don’t use service workers so it couldn’t have been that. The only thing I can think of is some issue with the graphic driver. Which might have been solved with an OS update. But this is just an assumption. It’s really hard to find a reason to something that you can’t reproduce…

Anyhow - glad it is working, please let us know if it happens again.

1 Like

I’m making the guess that there was something was going wrong when shaders are built at run time, because it almost felt as though something needed to be built first, and once it was present everything on every tab (localhost or online playgrounds) would start working. If you closed that tab, whatever it was had to be rebuilt.

I reeeallly hope this never happens again. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Mine still does it on Win11. Windows update says I’m up to date.
I’ve just been keeping a pinned tab of a simple project open.

My windows 10 OS also thought it was up to date if I recall, I had to hunt down the update.

I have the same issue
Windows 10, all chromium based browsers take roughly 10mn to load https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/ the first time.
According to the network inspector, it takes ages to get a response from ts.worker.js.

Update either windows or chrome. In my case I had to do something to manually trigger the windows update.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. I’ve updated Windows 10 several times in the past few months to no avail.
The issue persists with either Chrome, Edge or Brave.

No issue with Firefox, which is non chromium based.

Can you try chrome canary, also what version of chrome are you running?

I’m using Chrome Version 110.0.5481.178.
The same issue occurs with Chrome Canary.

If my memory serves right, it started to happen after uninstalling Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime (it was eating too much RAM). I have reinstalled it since but the issue persists.