BABYLON.JS versioning

Hi there, maybe is a silly question but i don’t understand how the versioning is managed in babylon.
I’had asked something similar also in the last post of this topic: Camera freezes when enabling/disabling dragging behavior on a mesh

What’s the difference between 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 versions: i can’t find any doc in the release notes page. The same question is valid also for 5.0 version: what’s the difference between 5.0 and 5.1 versions? If i use npm to download the new Babylonjs version it downloads the 5.1.
In my application i must use offline packages, so i must be sure to use the stable version. So, the question is: when the 5.0 will be released, which version i have to use 5.0 or 5.1? And what are the differences?

Thank you in advance

Hi @Mercurio,

That’s a great question :slight_smile:

I am actually in the middle of writing a blog post about it, to explain future versioning of the framework.
We will also start generating a changelog for each version very soon to make it much clearer what changed when.

Having said that - latest stable is always latest stable on NPM, just like any other packages. And our packages are backwards compatible, meaning - what worked with 4.X should still work with 5.0 (unless some browser feature was removed or changed. In this case you might need to modify your code slightly, but we do our best to prevent that).

Don’t forget that even though we haven’t published it too much, 5.0 stable was released already. 5.1.0 is the latest of this one. Right after finishing the blog post I will finalize the changelog generator :slight_smile: So - stay tuned, and thanks a lot for asking!

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarification :+1: