I’ve started a little challenge with 2 of my coworkers. We all try to create a multiplayer bomberman clone.
The fun part is - with different engines.
One using Unity, the other one UE 5 and I’ll try it with BabylonJS.
As some of you may know, this is not my first project and that’s why the start went pretty fast.
First thing I did was to create the battlefield on the fly using parameters for rows and columns. Then every n-th field was solid (indestructible). After that i looped over the battlefield and randomly added destructible elements (which worked on later).
Then I’ve added a sphere (+ light source) for a player dummy and the controls (wasd/arrows)
Later on I played around with the material types. First I wanted to use PBR but later on I thought maybe playing around with dynamic/moving light sources the game would look better. So I switched to StandardMaterial and pixelart-assets.
The explosion is kinda funny. I’ve created a method to use one texture on a plane and define columns/rows and the amount of animation steps to use it as a spritesheet. The first try was with pixelart-spirtesheets
The next part took some time - I’ve created a Node-server for joining sessions and communication between input → server → broadcast positions to clients. The blue player is the mirrored input from the red player. I did this to check if there are any delays.
Then I played around with the explosion sprites, the explosion radius of bombs and chaining explosions… also - minions.
That’s all for now. I’ll keep you updated!