Camera Movement doesn't work until mouse release using pointerdown event

I am trying to make something like as long as the user holds the right-click mouse button on canvas, the pointer stays locked and when the user releases the right click, the pointer gets unlocked. However, I am facing an issue here. Default camera movement stops working after locking the pointer in pointerdown event. It doesn’t work until you release the right click. You can give it a try here. https://playground.babylonjs.com/#4ETCX8#2

canvas.addEventListener('pointerdown', (e) => {
        if(e.button == 2){
            canvas.requestPointerLock();
        }
    });
1 Like

Adding @PolygonalSun the master of inputs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @BlackThunder4007, so I looked at your PG and when I right-click and hold it doesn’t move so it looks like I am able to repro the behavior on both 5.0 and 4.2. When you engage a pointer lock, the default behavior is that cursor will “lock” onto the given element and move the camera, independent of a button being pressed, which would explain why your camera moves after you release the right-click. As for why it’s not moving during the initial button press/pointerlock, I’m not sure so lemme look into this and see what’s going on.

2 Likes

Just wanted to update you on what’s going on. It turns out that there’s some issue with the logic for a pointer lock so that it’s trying to use the values for the clientX/Y from the PointerEvent, rather than the deltas (movmentX/Y) so I’m currently working on the fix for that.

3 Likes

Fix is in PR

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking a look into this.
I have a question. How can I use that change in the stable version 4.2.0 I have?

It is not possible, you need to use preview this change follows along with a huge rewrite of some of the inputs to be able to work with babylon native :slight_smile: