Convert Mesh Names to Synthesized Voice with Web Speech API

Small utility which may have numerous practical uses.
Click on any mesh to hear its name (or any text metadata) with synthesized voice through Web Speech API. Adjust voice rate and pitch with sliders. Have fun! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

wow! Its so funny. The dynamic effect of UI is also unexpected :grin:

1 Like

I wonder if it could help with accessibility :slight_smile:

Web Speech API is the part of the Web Accessibility Initiative - Text to Speech | Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) | W3C

Use semantic HTML markup for structures such as headings, paragraphs, lists, forms, and tables. Provide text alternatives for images, icons, and other non-text content. Ensure keyboard compatibility, and ensure that text information is understandable without the visual context.

I wonder how it could look/behave in Babylon scene :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not want to rain on the accessibility parade. Thing it is kind of critical that web speeches sweet spot in this regard has to be for the blind. 3D Graphics are just not going cut it being described much less played with by the blind.

1 Like

While 3D graphics and any visual information are good as they are still 14% of the world population (and all infants as well) remain illiterate while having completely normal vision so I believe there could be some need to help them with with voicing of the 3D scene interfaces or any other textual information which it may contain :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be amazing to see more integrated 3D accessibility! I’ve read a pretty interesting article about it: 3D Model Accessibility – Scott Vinkle :smiley:

3 Likes

Really nice list of expectations :slight_smile:

3D model usability expectations/assumptions

• A mouse user should be able to click-grab/swipe and scroll for model rotation and zoom
  • A sighted mobile user should be able to swipe and use pinch gestures for model rotation and zoom
  • A sighted, keyboard-only user should see a visible focus state when the 3D model has keyboard focus
  • A keyboard user should be able to rotate the model horizontally and vertically via keyboard alone
  • A keyboard user should be able to zoom the model in and out via keyboard alone
  • A screen reader user should hear an appropriate role describing the component as a 3D model
  • A screen reader user should hear a brief description of the 3D model object
  • A screen reader user should hear additional hint text to further describe how to interact with the 3D model
  • A screen reader user should hear descriptive announcements of the visible portion/angle when the 3D model has been rotated
  • A screen reader user should hear an announcement on zoom describing the current zoom level
  • A mobile screen reader user should be able to swipe and use pinch gestures for model rotation and zoom
  • A voice dictation user, switch user, or anyone with limited mobility should be able to rotate and zoom the 3D model using dedicated button controls for each piece of dynamic functionality