Exporting from 3DS makes JPG/PNG textures gray? Must manually "hack" the GLTF/GLB

Hi,

First of all - thank you so much for a really awesome plugin for 3DS max. It helps me alot.

Lately I’ve been having some problems with exporting my model to GLTF (glb) and spent around 30 hours trying to figure out why my model was much darker when exported via BabylonJS then on screen. Exporting as FBX and converting it online (ThreeJS, Convert 3D models to GLTF | BlackThread.io) works without gray colors.

Eventually I did a GLTF export (and not GLB) and noticed that the JPG/PNG that is being exported has turned gray during the export. I’m using texture quality 100%.

Pure white has been exported as #7e7e7e.

I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong, or forgot to change some setting.

My workflow now is to export as GLTF, manually replace the images with the originals and use an online tool to convert GLTF to GLB. It works, but it’s not pretty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pinging @PatrickRyan and @Drigax

FWIW, I’m on a Mac running windows via Bootcamp

This sounds very similar to reported issue:

Hey @sebavan if you made any progress on investigating this, feel free to chime in.

So actually the texture diffuse value is halved in the exporter. I am checking how deep it goes into the rabbit hole at the moment.

var diffuse = specularGlossiness.diffuse.scale(0.5f);

This now applies to both textures and factors.

I ll have a fix in tomorrow :wink: I want to control the full impact.

Has the problem been solved?

Yup should be in with the great work of @Drigax