Getting better performance in simple vertex painting scenario

Hi,
I’ve started to learn BabylonJS for some webgl small projects and I’m a bit of stuck trying to build a simple vertex paint tool. Here’s a babylon playground with my progress:
https://playground.babylonjs.com/#W79M6C

But I’m really concerned here about performance, as with that level of detail the vertex painting is very laggy with quick mouse lines and I can’t get continuous lines if I don’t move the mouse really slow.

Where should I look into for get a faster painting experience? Is it possible to only update the color of the 3 vertices that conform the touched face instead of uptating the whole vertex buffer? Or maybe there’s another way to set up the painting event?

Thanks in advance!

Mouse events are send based on timer so you can not really have continuous except if you move slow enough for each mouse event to map to continuous faces.

I guess here you should instead paint all faces below the projected path created between 2 mouse events. Also, you might need to consider smoothing out the created path to handle changes of direction without strong angles everywhere.

I would try something with less vertices to start as the sphere has a lot.

You could also draw a dynamic texture mapping the points back from picking so you are updating a texture each frame rather than updating vertices.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your suggestion. I also tried with dynamic texture but I think it needs proper UV mapping of the object and in this case the real use will be for non uv mapped high poly models.

Thanks @sebavan, I think this may be the way to go. Are there any tools inside of Babylon to accomplish this task of checking the faces below a projected path?

As a reference I’ve found this: SculptGL - A WebGL sculpting app which has a very performant vertex paint tool.