How to access each mech names including ".babylon" file?

Hi BJS developers.

I made some toy slider parts in Blender 2.8.1 and export them by BabylonJS-BlenderExporter6.3.

Ref : Blender2Babylon-6.3.zip

Exported slider.babylon file seems to work like below. (Lighting setting is not complete)

The movie below was developed by Unity. I’d like to make similar one in Babylon.js.

I try to get each mesh from imported mesh data but failed. In the following code, I expected “ShortRail_2” mesh (It’s showed in the above debug layer) The result of the console log is “the name is null”.

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("","","./model/slider_rail_forBabylonjs_join2.babylon",
        scene,function(newMeshes,particleSystems,skeltons) {
         //   importedMeshes = newMeshes.meshes;
    });
   var mesh= scene.getMeshByID("ShortRail_2");
   console.log("the name is :"+mesh); 

My code is pushed on github.

Sorry for my basic question. I could not find good answers from official doc or forums.
If some guys know about appropriate pages or hints, It’s be helpful for me.

Thanks very a lot.

Limes

Hey! You may try the

scene.getMeshByName()

method for this ! I think “ID” is used different in BJs! You may use the babylon inspector to check these values up! :relaxed:

The problem here is that you are running this code before the mesh was loaded. Move the getMeshBy (name of ID) call into the onSuccess loop:

BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh("","","./model/slider_rail_forBabylonjs_join2.babylon",
         //   importedMeshes = newMeshes.meshes;
        var mesh= scene.getMeshByID("ShortRail_2");
        console.log("the name is :"+mesh); 
    });

or use the newMeshes array to find your new mesh and do whatever you want with it :slight_smile:

Yeah didn’t see that you also need to move the code :sweat_smile:

Could you point out the difference between “ID” and “Name” in this example plz?

https://playground.babylonjs.com/#Z44DT5#1

here also getMeshByID() returns null, that’s why I thought you may have to use getMeshByName()

getMeshByID looks for meshes by using the id property and getMeshByName uses the name property instead.

2 Likes

@wulf11, @RaananW, @Evgeni_Popov.

Thanks for your kind and quick reply. The following code works.

mesh= scene.getMeshByName("ShortRail_2");
        console.log("the name is :"+mesh.name); 

});

I’m new to Blender 2.8. I don’t know which cause the problem my 3D modeling or BJS code.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

In the blender exporter, they are set to the same value. ID is really used by the Max exporter, I think. It puts some code string in the ID, and the user puts in the name.

2 Likes