Improving performance in big resolution screens

Hello everyone!

Currently one of our projects its being used in a 80" smart touch screen on chrome running android with a huge resolution, and our project runs poorly (even though its greatly optimized for mobile and web and can be used in old smart phones without a problem).

As I understand, the big resolution is asking too much from the processing of the smart touch screen, and it seems that theres no way of changing the resolution of the smart screen system or android.

We have tried using setHardwareScalingLevel but the screen becomes very pixelated, same result with BABYLON.HardwareScalingOptimization.

Is there a way to limit a babylon project to 1920 x 1080 or any other resolution? I am asking this since if we screen share from a smart phone or tablet, the image looks great on the 80" screen.

Thank you

Just for clarity, how big is ‘huge’?

As far as I know smart screens usually have a list of resolution options, including 480p, 720p,1080p and so on. Could you provide the brand/model of your screen?

It is 4k, 3840 x 2160. I couldnt find the exact model (since its a rebrand from a company without much information) but this is the closest I found.

We tried looking into all the settings but couldnt change the native resolution of the system on android/chrome, so I am only left with the option maybe of doing something on babylon.

AFAIK, the only thing that can improve perf is to se the scaling. A value of 2 will correspond to a change from 4K to 2K.
But, overall, if you are GPU bound, the only option is to lower the quality.
Do you see other options @sebavan ?

the thing is some of those devices have a really poor GPU or even sometimes run gl in fotware emulation :frowning: so targeting those unfortunately means reducing quality

1 Like