Order indepedent transparency OIT fails with translucency enabled

Hi, I would like to ask a question regarding OIT feature. Not sure if it’s a bug or it’s expected.

When OIT is enabled in scene with translucency materials, the rendering not longer work. Just pure white color is displayed.

The problem can be reproduced by inserting the below line to the script https://playground.babylonjs.com/#WGZLGJ#2849
scene.useOrderIndependentTransparency = true;

I also would like to know in case the OIT feature is not supported for translucence materials, is there anyway I can contribute to make it work?

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the Babylon community! @CraigFeldspar is who implemented the feature so they’ll know :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @khanh_ha !
OIT has really basic support right now, since it’s a specific pipeline for rendering transparent objects, there may be a set of features that are conflicting with it. And it appears to be the case with translucency as we have lots of webgl errors in the console.
We will improve the support of OIT in the future, but for now I would disable translucency on all transparent materials if you want to use it.

2 Likes

Hi @CraigFeldspar,
Thanks for your support.

I understand that the white screen problem is due to a bug in the IOT feature that is not compatible with translucency material. Can you tell me a bit more about this bug?

It would be wonderful if you could suggest me any workaround that I can implement for now so translucency materials can coexist with transparent materials in the same scene while IOT is enabled?

Disabling translucency is a big trade-off for my project.

Thanks