Particle system with mouseover interaction

Hello,

I would like to create a particle system that reacts to mouse movement similar to the demo on this site: Interactive Particles | Codrops (made with three.js) with babylon.
The demo I linked uses an image that has been converted into particles but I want to use a particle system based on a mesh like the one in this playground: Babylon.js Playground.

The demo site uses custom shaders to achieve the displacement effect. I checked the documentation on shaders for particle systems but if I understand it correctly you can’t customize a particle system’s vertex shader, only its fragment shader.

Is there any way I can create a displacement effect on mouseover using a particle system or would using something like a SPS instead be a better approach?
(Or perhaps not using a particle system at all and instead just placing objects on the mesh surface like in the SurfaceMeshPoints example)

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance!

You can change the updateFunction of the particle system as well as the shader :slight_smile: Customizing Particles | Babylon.js Documentation

3 Likes

Hello! Just checking in if you still have questions @Seri