Realistic, real-time (performant) trees and vegetation?

I’ll try to layout the process I use. See the images below, as I go through the process.

1. I create a tree with limbs - no leaves yet. And I will use a simple plane with a texture with transparency (Top corner of image 1) that I will spread over the basic tree that I have weight painted, to produce the tree in the lower part of image 1.

2. So I select the tree in Object Mode and add a particle system. The particle system is “hair” and then I tweak the values for Emmision number, seed and select “Advanced”. Going down the image, I set values for rotation randomness, physics size randomness, and choose the object I will use to replace the “hair”. In this case a plane with the image in first image (top corner). Then set the “Density” using the weight painted vertex group.

3. Then I tweak these values until I get something I like (lower part of image1). When happy, I go to the modifiers tab and click convert. This produces all the instances (see last image). To complete the tree, I select all the instances and finally the tree trunk and merge them to create my tree.

4. Now using this tree, I create the terrain, weight paint it, apply a new particle system choose the number of trees etc. I want and do the convert. It leaves all the trees as instances spread over the landscape (no merging here) with different sizes and rotation.

5. Variations come from different textures on the plane, different tree trunks, emission number values, different seed values etc.

Quite a simple procedure really.

cheers, gryff :slight_smile:

6 Likes